Sea Dog hatch covers on NDK Romany

Anybody has any good luck using these hatch covers instead of the Kayak Sport/NDK brand? I need to replace mine and I was considering the Sea Dogs specially since I have them in my Valley boat and they were really well.

If you already have good experience…
…with them on another boat, what make you think it will be any different on your Romany?

Let us know
Well I have the NDK hatches on the 10 inch hatches and they don’t leak a drop and go on and off real easy. Valley hatch on day hatch. This is on a Greenlander Pro. Same covers as a Romany. If you do decide to use these other hatches post a note on what you think of them. For me I cant see using anything other than the NDK covers on the 10 inch hatches but maybe the Valley day hatch. Iam still on the original 10 inch hatch covers and mine is a 2004 year kayak.

Not all boats do well with the Sea Dog
I have a friend with a Cetus LV who has them on his glass boat and swears by them while telling me that his friend has them on a Scorpion and they leak. So they may vary from boat type. In my Avocet they are great, durable and dry which is a totally different design. NDK Hatch covers are made by Kayak Sport, I think. Based on that experience, my Tahe has Kayak Sport and they always leak a lot of water. So, I turned into this message board to see if anybody had a useful experience to share.

Hatches on Cetus vs. Scorpio LV

– Last Updated: Nov-17-14 11:19 PM EST –

I have quite a bit of experience with hatches on the both the P&H Cetus LV and Scorpio LV, although not specifically the Sea Dog brand.

The 'hard' plastic snap-on style KajakSport hatches work very well on the composite Cetus, but I found just the opposite with the Scorpio. Originally my Scorpio came from the factory with a mix of KajakSport hatches. Two were a soft rubber compound and two hard plastic. The hard plastic hatches leaked quite a bit on the Scorpio and I eventually replaced them with two soft rubber, one was a KajakSport and the other was a no-name. Apparently P&H also figured this out and they no longer equip their new rotomold boats with the hard snap-on style lids.

The bottom line is that I am not surprised that the Sea Dogs do not work well on the Scorpio. It requires hatches with a soft compound to 'mold' to the rotomold hatch rims.

Try the Sealect covers

– Last Updated: Nov-17-14 9:51 PM EST –

I've put them on the day hatches on a '97 Romany and a '99 Explorer. Like others here, the 10" KajackSport hatch covers that are on the bow and stern hatches, have been excellent in terms of durability. The 8" Valley day hatch covers have needed to be replaced about every three years - even with fresh water rinsing, indoor storage and frequent treatments of 303.

So....Ive replaced the 8" VCP day hatch covers with the Sealect Performance hatch covers. I've been happy with them so far. They are a little harder to put on. I'm not always sure the 100% sealed, you need to run your hand around to really be sure, but they do come off easier and they have a little pull/ tie down tab to attach a tether. An added bonus is they float....just in case.

They have been just as bone dry as the VCP covers.

I got mine from Duckworks, they had the best price when I bought mine and excellent customer service. If I recall they were about $20 less than the VCP.

Good luck!

That’s good info!
Yup! Sealect are the same thing as Sea Dogs. So, if you had good luck with your Romany, that’s all the endorsement I needed to hear. Just wanted to get another opinion. There is always a risk that they may not be as good in the NDK boats are they are in the Valley, but I feel pretty good about your advice and experience with your 97 Romany. Thanks again!

Gil

Warpage
Yes Gil, Seadog and Sealect are the same. When I contacted Seadog/Sealect they said they are phasing out the Classic and would only be selling the Performance model. So when u buy, look for the Performance model.

Unfortunately KajakSport doesn’t make a size that fits the VCP day hatch, so the SeaLect is the only day hatch alternate for our boats.

Also, when mine were shipped to me, they were very warped. After a week or so on the boat and liberal 303, they’ve flattened out.

Select covers…
The hatch covers on my Romany don’t need replaced yet but I have Select / Sea Dog covers on my Impex Currituck and Impex Mystic. I taught a rescues class 1 1/2 weeks ago and both kayaks were upside down for quite a while…All hatches remained bone dry. I highly recommend them.

Thanks brawleytj!
I believe the Impex kayaks take the oval VCP style. I have an Avocet and years ago a Nordkapp and both had Seadogs and had good results. I am pulling the trigger on the Seadogs for my Romany. It seems to have good results as well. Thanks!

Gil

SEALECTS TO THE RESCUE

– Last Updated: Nov-24-14 5:50 PM EST –

The original Valley hatch covers on my Valley Aquanaut just about disintegrated, even with 303 applications, after storing my boat on its side under the palms in our Coconut Grove back yard for some four years.

Check out

http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2012/06/gear-sea-lect-designs-hatch-covers.html

and scroll down a bit -you'll see what they looked like.

I replaced them with Sealects, and have been supremely pleased with them. They been absolutely watertight, and while they're a bit more difficult to get back on, they come off about as easily as the originals. Best part about them is their hardshell plastic main sections that appear to be able to weather weather better than the all-rubber compound of the originals.

A pleasant bonus is that they're less expensive than the originals as replacements as well. They come in a variety of sizes and I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find matches for your needs.

And after you install them, you'll be able to, for many years, securely -and 'water tight-ly'

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami

There harder to put than Valley OEM?
I find Valley hatches the oval one on my Avocet very hard to put on, they initially snap on but then you have to take your thumbs and push down that lip part to seal them. thats is very hard to do. When its cold its really hard and to get them off nearly kills my fingers. Are the sealect harder tan that? If so, YIKES. My NDK round hatches are so easy compared to the Valley hatches.

"The original Valley hatch covers on my Valley Aquanaut just about disintegrated, even with 303 applications, after storing my boat on its side under the palms in our Coconut Grove back yard for some four years.

Check out

http://gnarlydognews.blogspot.com/2012/06/gear-sea-lect-designs-hatch-covers.html

and scroll down a bit -you’ll see what they looked like.

I replaced them with Sealects, and have been supremely pleased with them. They been absolutely watertight, and while they’re a bit more difficult to get back on, they come off about as easily as the originals. Best part about them is their hardshell plastic main sections that appear to be able to weather weathwer better than the all-rubber compound of the originals.

A pleasant bonus is that they’re less expensive than the originals as replacements as well. They come in a variety of sizes and I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to find matches for your needs.

And after you install them, you’ll be able to, for many years, securely -and ‘water tight-ly’

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami "

not harder than Valley
quote- - I find Valley hatches the oval one on my Avocet very hard to put on, they initially snap on but then you have to take your thumbs and push down that lip part to seal them. thats is very hard to do. When its cold its really hard and to get them off nearly kills my fingers. Are the sealect harder tan that? If so, YIKES. My NDK round hatches are so easy compared to the Valley hatches.

• -

I also find the Valley hatches harder to put on but on some kayaks the recess has a little bit more room and sometimes easier. I find that the Sealect need more pressure to put on but not necessarily harder. Once they snap on I don’t need to run my finger around the rim to seat them like I have ot on the Valley.

Video here: http://youtu.be/D5lHviuEzWc