Sea Eagle Paddle Ski v Fast Track 385

I am trying to compare these two inflatables. I am looking for a boat to use in NW Florida spring fed rivers where a sunken tree trunk can require you step out of the boat and sorta portage over it, sometimes in knee deep water or less. But there are also wide areas in these rivers where tracking is an issue.

For those of you who know the area I am talking about a trip from Wacissia Springs down to the Slave Canal through it to the Aucillia. I also go up the Wakulla River from 98 to the fence bridge and back.

Currently I have a Sea Eagle 330 but am worried it is not up to the Slave Canal.

Other boats can be considered, but these two seem to best fit my needs for a stable boat I can fit in the trunk of my Honda Civic.

Some hints:
One is purely a bona fide inflatable kayak, the other tries to be every kind of craft there is.

One sets up easily(less car trunk room needed)and with no extra peripherals required, but a paddle and life vest…The other requires A LOT more money be spent on accessories, like sails, oars, trolling motors, etc.(But fine, if yer into it all that and can afford it.)

One has a lower center of gravity for the seated paddler, making it infinitely more stable and safer than the other craft on high waves, rapids, and various textured water.

One allows you to find/paddle with others of similar craft(IKs, recreational kayaks and canoes)to enjoy time on the water with. The other, is not as widely used, and because of it’s add-ons, probably not as big a seller to the paddling public at large.

One has directional stability due to it’s attached(detachable?)skegs and thus better tracking on flatwater than the more tubular-catamaran type craft.

And finally, one of the boats has a reinforced expedition grade hull on it’s underside, making it somewhat impervious to things like rocks and oyster shell.

So take a guess which of your two paddle craft would get my vote.

You Like The Fast Track
I can not disagree with any thing you posted, but I am not sure it really addressed my question. There are really no high waves on the inland rivers where I take pictures of birds, so being up high is not a real issue and the lack things sticking down from the bottom of the boat means less chance for weeds to get caught and slowing down the boat.

I am not trying to dis the FT, in fact I included it in my consideration because it has some nice features that fit my needs. But so does the PS. Since I already have a Minn Kota there is no need for me to spend more money on that; but the problem with weeds means I may not be using it.

What I am most concerned about is getting a boat over below water level logs that have fallen into the river/creek and are blocking it. The very features that help the FT track so well are features that make this type of in water portage harder. On the other hand the industrial strength bottom of the FT is a plus where damage doing this is concerned.

What I am looking for is a realistic pros and cons of both of these boats, not a list of the plus side of the balance sheet for the FT. I need to figure out how much of a hit I will take in tracking in deep water with the PS compared to how much of a hit I will take dragging the FT over fallen trees or paddling through weeds up to the water surface.

I think

– Last Updated: Sep-29-10 8:41 AM EST –

you'll find the PS will have less drag. More surface area on the FT. In the intro video, the two guys are paddling pretty hard to make what speed they are achieving. I have the 380X and love it on moving water,it's slow on the flat stuff ,but I get there very comfortably. The PS is a very versatile choice. If I were to owned one, I'd rig a nice footbrace system for a more powerful stroke. No dought, the PS is the right choice for the water you described.

No offense, but, it sounds as though
you already made up your mind on the PS. Since you posted "“vs.” in the Advice forum, my previous post was my realistic pros and cons. What is it based on? I too have a SE 380x(not to mention 3 other inflatable craft.)

I can’t even remember how many logs, strainers, and granite boulders I’ve ran it over in hard use. Weeds are a non issue, the skeg tilts up. In Florida, where I’ve taken it a number of times, it’s dragged over oyster beds and stared down alligators. I’ve surfed it on rough ocean surf, run Class III-IV water almost weekly with it in Winter, and lazily fished out of it on long summer days.

I just thought if the FT skegs are detachable, it will do all these things and overcome the lag-drag factor on flat water. I can’t see weeds/sea weed really hindering it. I’m also of the personal opinion that the Paddle Ski, being a versatile a Jack-of-All Trades does many things well–But nothing really well, as an individually dedicated specialty craft would(like the Fast Track).

In any event, it’s all good!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2476850830105552613MLaUee

Paddleski Vs Fast Track
I know this is an old post, but just wanted to comment after a year and a half comparing I choose the Paddleski over the Fast Track. I’ve owned it a year and although I haven’t yet had a chance to try a Fast Track, I think I made the best selection for my needs for those wondering which to buy.

I’ve wanted a Sunfish sailboat since I was a kid. Having something similar that fits in the trunk of my compact car is wonderful. I got heavily into kayaking 3 years ago after buying an SE330, but the flexibility of the Paddleski is 2nd to none. I’ve spoken to Sea Eagle support & Jim at Sailboats to go. Although sailing options are now available for the Fast Tracks, both tell me the Paddleski is a much better choice for sailing. I keep a trolling motor attached (and likely will buy a gas motor too) at the same time as the Sail rig. Again, motor has been awesome. I frequently take on large boat wakes and sometimes rough waters as I sail in the middle of bays (stabilizers aren’t really needed). I’ve used the boat at least 3 times a week all season, and kayak alone or even with 3 adults.

Master of none, but if you want to have “the most fun” it’s an excellent choice because of the wide variety of things it does. No other boat on the market that fits in a small car can do so much. It paddles very well in calm waters, but if it’s windy or there is a current why paddle when you could sail or motor?