Sea Kayak for 36" inseam and size 14 feet?

G’day from Australia!

Can anyone recommend Sea Kayak’s that will fit me in them?
6’4, 36" inseam and size 14 feet?
Weight is 210 pounds btw.
Looking for a kayak that will carry gear for multi days but also be ok for unloaded 1/2 day paddles.

Oh, and the other variable is that anything over 505cm / 16.5’ length won’t fit where I can store it***

The Wilderness Systems Tsunami 165 is on my shortlist, but I get the impression it won’t be great in regards to leg length…

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance :slight_smile:

.I think the 14’s are going to be a bigger problem than your inseam, most boats have ample leg room.

6’5", 230 lbs, size 15 ft feet responding. Boats that I know will work based on personal experience: P & H Hammer, Prijon Kodiak, Jackson Journey, Jackson Karma RG, NDK Romany Excel (and maybe the Romany Surf). I do fit in the Tsunami, but fit can be somewhat personal (and I thought it was kind of a boring ride). Boats that I strongly believe will fit: Dagger Stratos (not the Alchemy). I left off the large Current Design kayaks because they are too long for you (as is the Prijon Marlin, Tempest 180 etc.). Good Luck.

A friend of mine is 6’7" but under 200 pounds. Unknown shoe size or inseam. He worked as an instructor for many years, so had access to many boats to try. Here is what he told me as a list of boats that fit him:

–start quote–
I don’t think there is a kayak greater than 17’4" that I’m not able to fit into.

I would be able to fit into a fair amount of kayaks in the 16’-17’ range IF I drilled and re-mounted the footrails/ footpegs further away from the seat.

Here is a list of kayaks, shorter than 17’, that I can fit into WITHOUT any modifications:

Current Designs Sirocco

P&H Delphin 155

NorthShore Atlantic LV

Valley Gemini SP

P&H(?) Hammer, the big one (I forget if there are multiple sizes or not)

Dagger Alchemy (biggest)

Dagger Stratos (the biggest one)

Selecting a kayak based on inadequate storage space is not a good way to pick the right boat. It seems to me that there are a number of ways to arrange storage, but there is no way to make a compromise boat a great paddling experience. For a person of your size, finding a great sea kayak no longer than 16.5’ might be a challenge. However, it doesn’t hurt to look. You should know better than most of us here on Paddling.Com what is available in Australia. One boat that should be available in Australia is the Stellar S16; the specs on it indicate that it might fit you.

I don’t know what happened to the Sea Kayak Forum, but that would have been a great place to get some help with finding a boat. I just spent a couple of minutes checking for used kayaks in Australia and there are lots to look at.

I’ll second the Dagger Stratos 14.5L in Peter’s list. I’m slightly shorter at 6’2" with US size 12/13 feet and I have plenty of room to be comfortable. It’s not going to win any races against longer narrower boats but it’s very nimble and fun to paddle. You just get a better workout going longer distances.

Thanks so much for the incredibly helpful responses, hugely appreciated

@whatzpoppin@hotmail.com said:

Cool that you acknowledged. So many pop in, ask questions, get tons of good advice, and are never heard from again.

@Rookie said:
Cool that you acknowledged. So many pop in, ask questions, get tons of good advice, and are never heard from again.

Genuinely appreciate the effort that people go to!
Hopefully I can return the favour once I get some paddling experience!

Cheers!

I too have size 14 flippers and have found them to limit my sea kayak choices to ones with high decks. I always paddle with shoes too which further compounds having adequate toe room. I do suggest replacing any foot braces with foam on bulkhead which I have found to increase my room by letting my toes rest in more places along the arc from deck peak to down the hull. I hope you do have some of the suggested boat choices at your local shop(s).

I am the same dimensions as you. Take a look at the Eddyline Fathom. I think it firs your requirements pretty well.

@Rookie said:

@whatzpoppin@hotmail.com said:

Yes that is nice.

Well, I ended up buying a WS Tsunami 145…

Turns out every other boat suggested on here were unfortunately not in stock at any shops anywhere near Sydney, nor were any for sale second hand.

For reference for anyone else with big feet and long legs, I sat in both the 165 and 145 in the shop.
The 165 was too tight for my feet at the centre, but just ok when on the pedals. But too constricting overall for feet so I had to rule it out.
The 145 had less leg length, as its large seat seemed to be further forward in the cockpit in comparison to the 165.
After slacking off the rudder cables to the max I could JUST get my feet on the pedals in the 145 - but a tad tight so I will drill a new hole on each side and move the seat back a fraction.

I got $A300 off the 145 so it was a good deal in the end - can’t wait to get out there!