Sea kayak recommendation for first time buyer

Your almost my exact size iam 5 pounds heaver and the P&H Delphin you want is the 150 the 155 is to big for me. Iam loose in the 155, My friend who is 6’2" maybe 200 pounds uses a 155. Also a Valley Avocet plastic version, it is discontinued but might find one is my main day paddle boat, Great in BIG water. A P&H Scorpion LV would also work. The Dagger Alchemy LV would be your choice. I never paddle one but sat in both and the bigger one is too big for me so would be for you too.

@Rex said:
At 165 pounds I would suggest you try/buy the lower volume versions. [snip] The smaller Alchemy. [snip]

In general, at your size the smaller models for most boats likely fit. But the Alchemy is likely an exception to this.

Out here in CA, we have found the Alchemy to be a strange breed. In general, we didn’t think the S version should exist, because we haven’t found people it fits well.

Most people who you would think would fit the S find they prefer the L. Perfect example is Greg Berman, who is about 160lbs. He is a ACA level 5 coastal kayaking instructor (ACA’s highest level) and one of the founders of Neptune’s Rangers. He extensively tried both sizes and got the L. I think Mark and Winny, two other Neptune Ranger members who are in this weight range both paddle Ls.

I kind of put it at maybe 150 and under to use the S, but the two size boats use the same cockpit opening and width. Someone who is under 150 really needs a narrower cockpit opening if they want to have any chance of using the thigh braces. My 110 lb girlfriend had an S, and when she went to try to roll, she would just fall out. Had to move her to a new boat pretty quick.

It’s be n a few years since I’ve tried the Alchemy’s on for size and my recollection is that my size 8 Chota Mukluk Lites were a snug fit. I prefer ample foot room.

I’m 5’6” and 165 lbs and my preferred kayaks are a Current Designs Infusion 135 composite, which seems no longer made, and an Epic 16X. They both track easily for me, are fun to pay around in, plenty maneuverable and handle wind and chop quite nicely. Never had them in big waves. I bought both for less than half price used.

My tricks for making a boat fit me properly… I move the seats back; especially helpful with my Tempest 165. The Alchemy I got used at such a great price that I had no reservations about removing all the stiffening hardware and foam.

Thanks everyone for all the pointers . I am more inclined towards 15ft and less right now(easy storage) but will see how it handles in water…

Till now I had only considered storing the kayak on its side on a suspenz ez kayak rack as I believe the kayak is strongest on its sides. My ceiling’s height is only 8ft hence I ruled out hoisting it up.

Another I would add to the list that Peter-CA posted is the Venture Easky 15 and 15LV. The LV is a lower volume model for small to medium paddlers – you are the height and shoe size of my ex boyfriend and 20 pounds lighter – he loved my 15LV and ended up getting a regular 15 for himself when we couldn’t find an LV. Venture discontinued the model but good used ones do show up. They replaced it with the Islay 14 and 14LV. I cannot personally vouch for those models but I have heard they are also a pleasure to paddle and very responsive, even in challenging conditions.

It’s a British made brand but there are some dealers in the US Northeast. Prices are in the same range as other good quality rotomold touring kayaks. With the favorable exchange rate recently with Canada, buying one up there and bringing it across the border might be an economical option. Got time for a road trip to Ontario?

Couple of more factors to consider are the width and weight of the kayak. If you have good balancing skills to start, a narrow kayak will fit you. But if not, I would recommend a 24" width kayak to start. For the weight, if you need to load and unload your kayak to your car roof by yourself, consider rent or buy a lighter one.