Sea Kayak vs Kruger Sea Wind

I’m a large frame guy, NFL lineman size.

I spent many years paddling a Wenonah Odyssey on the lakes of Northern Montana. I loved that boat but when I found us having moved to Corpus Christi Tx. I sold it and bought a Nimbus Telkwa HV sea kayak. I got along fairly well with the kayak as far as paddling went but it hurt, lower back and legs…badly. My body just never broke in to the position.

And I never was able to develop a roll.

I sold the kayak a while back.

I am going to be moving to the Puget Sound area and want to get back into paddling. My son and I have a dream of paddling from Wa. to Ak. at some point.

I’m thinking the Kruger Sea Wind could be perfect boat for me in those waters.

I could buy another kayak and find competent instruction in learning to roll but I think I’ll be happier with the decked canoe which is what I am probably going to do.

That said, I am throwing this out there just to see what you guys have to share on it.

Thanks

Sea Wind …

– Last Updated: Apr-25-12 4:01 PM EST –

Yes

Some options
There some sea kayaks that will fit really big guys, just wait and see, paddlers will give you suggestions

Here is one list, probably missing some entries

http://danwebb.com/kayak/bigkayaks.htm

Even if you don’t fit anything, you still have options - building SOF ( Skin on Frame ) kayak can be an exciting project for both you and your kid. Stitch and Glue kayak is a step up in complexity, and Strip Built Kayaks probably wrap up your options.

Puget Sound is premier paddling locale. They are also “served” by premier paddling school - Body Boat Blade - http://www.bodyboatblade.com/ . I am quite sure they would enjoy the challenge of teaching you the roll

re: Some options

– Last Updated: Apr-25-12 4:40 PM EST –

I did a lot of investigation before I bought the Telkwa and it fit me really well. It is a beautifully built boat and I would recommend Nimbus to anyone. It's the sitting position, bolt upright with legs straight ahead, after a couple of hours it quit being fun. A canoe allows a shift of position, legs out, legs folded, kneeling.

Thanks for the links though, you never know how this will turn out. And my son, who is finishing up his third year at CSM does want to do it in a kayak so he will be accessing this info also.

good luck
I am quite sure you will enjoy the closed deck canoe.

Some things to consider. Don’t take them personally, just throwing them out -

• when paddling a SK legs are never straight - they keep going up and down. That really helps to keep blood flowing and makes for more efficient paddling
  • when setting up foot peg position I recommend distance that still allows to put both legs down on the bottom of them boat while keeping feet on the pegs. Stretch in calf muscles should be very slight. If the footpegs are too close there are, typically, quite unpleasant side effects - heels falling asleep, pain in the balls of feet, legs falling asleep, and general pain in the posterior.
  • some production seats have upturned front lip that likes to cut into thighs. Over time this tends to be less than pleasant

I noticed that Telkwa HV is on the list, its deck height is listed as 14 inches. Just looking at the list, there are 5 kayaks that have decks higher than that.

Have fun

sea wind
Email me.

I’m a 14-year sea wind owner. I previously was a 20 year sea kayaker. I couldn’t believe how great the boat is.

I was no longer cramped up, jammed into a hull, sitting low and always wet…thus having to.wear god awful hot dry and wet suits and spending more time trying to fit my gear into the small holds etc etc…anyway…no more worries with the sea wind.

Lots of room, easy loa Could I carry a 5000 cc pack into my sea kayak. Nope but the sea wind yes…in fact two. a tough boat too…the strongest of any productioncanoe or kayak in n. America.12 layers of kelvar…compared to 2-4 the other boats. Not that you typically would want too but I’ve carried a keg of beer, folding table, haibatchi grill, and lawn chairs for a weekend party.

if you go to solotripping.com I have a bunch of photos of the sea wind and closeups too.

kruger and landick used the pre-sea wind for.their record 28,000 mile 3 1/2 year trip…including the pacific coast that you want to do. expensive ? Yes…but I no longer upgrade my sea kayaks every 6 years now that I have the sea wind. Scott smith who helped build boats for Verlen for years started his own company…very similar design as the sea wind…but two grand cheaper. Google superior canoes…its.the expedition model. a friend just bought one.

anyway…email me

norm

livingston, Montana

vid
Here is a video of the sea wind prototype during Verlen 28k epic trip

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0KqdssgxdzQ

go for it
no reason to not have a comfortable boat.

if you want a nice boat for big people

– Last Updated: Apr-25-12 7:06 PM EST –

check out the tiderace xplore-x.
I know of one guy, 6'7 or 8 and about 320 who has one.
http://www.tideraceseakayaks.co.uk/index.php/kayak-models/xploreseries.html
Great performance exped boat.
I have the xplore-l, one size down and Im 6'7 and 220. I thought the xl was too big for me.
If you want good rolling or other instruction out here in the puget sound area, check out http://www.roguewaveadventures.com/

Decked Canoe
You’ll not be sorry going with the decked canoe. Comfort is the key. I paddle one of Scott’s Superior Expeditions. I switched from a kayak due to problems with my legs, so glad I did.

http://www.superiorcanoes.com/index.html

yes
Get two and catamaran them together for rough weather on your trip.

Ryan L.

Thanks guys
I appreciate all of your comments.

Very validating.

Thanks again.

Moving to the Northwest
If I was you I’d look at the Clipper Sea-1 decked canoe. It’s a well built boat though considerably lighter than the Krugers and their offspring. It’s roughly half the price and likely to be easily available in the Northwest.

Clipper Sea-1 lighter than relatives?
Yes and no.

Sea Wind 60 lbs or more, depending on outfitting.

Kevlar Monarch 50 lbs.

Goldenglass Loon 57 lbs, kevlar about 45 lbs.

Kevlar Sea-1 55 lbs, fiberglass about 65 lbs.

It’s a couple lbs lighter than the heaviest decked canoes, but also heavier than a couple of the lighter ones.