sea level rise graphic and Earth Time

I found this an interesting graphic and story.
https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/here-s-how-rising-seas-could-swallow-these-coastal-cities-ncna872466

The story lead me to Earth Time

https://earthtime.org/explore

where I can watch the actual coastline change each year from 1984 to 2016. I have witnessed it happening here in SC at Cape Romain where I often paddle the coast, but it is way cool to see the satellite photos as time lapse. Just zoom in on your favorite coast. Cape Romain has had some dramatic changes as Sandy Point at the mouth of Five Fathom Creek has disappeared altogether, and the Lighthouse Island, Cape Island area has also changed quite a bit.

You are mistaken.
This is a prediction of the future when the icecaps keep melting.
Were it real-time based on real sat-pics, Miami would be gone.

Yes, the seas are rising and will continue to do so and there is NOTHING we can do to stop it. By the time you realize that there is a problem, it is too late to fix it.
Some coastal areas in Panama have the locals moving their houses further up the shore and trying to build walls but…

As of today, the rising seas are a minor inconvenience to people. Tomorrow they will become a major problem.

On the bright side, more water to paddle!

@RikJohnson said:
You are mistaken.
This is a prediction of the future when the icecaps keep melting.
Were it real-time based on real sat-pics, Miami would be gone.

I got that even if it came across that I didn’t. Yes Miami is still there.

However the Earth Time site does give real satellite photos from 1984 to 2016. You can watch the reduction over those years of white on the tops of the Rockies and Himalayas. I watched Sandy Point slowly wash away over the same time period here on the SC coast. The current fishing charts I have still show it as there.

If I could live another 200 years, I’d own property on the new Florida keys!

I’m going to buy oceanfront in Columbia, SC for my GGGC.
Castoff will only have to drive 30 minutes to be in the salt.

Not going to happen. Scientists needs grants to make a good income. It’s all about money and control.

The Earth time graph is a bit deceiving. It starts off in the winter of 1984 and finishes in the summer of 2016!

No one finds it interesting to look at the changes on Earth Time? Andy I wondered about that. Dave, most of my life isn’t about money and control. :wink: Science is about a lot more than those things.

Gone paddling at Cape Romain! Will probably post photos when i get be back. As Frank says “Paddle On”

@castoff said:
No one finds it interesting to look at the changes on Earth Time? Andy I wondered about that. Dave, most of my life isn’t about money and control. :wink: Science is about a lot more than those things.

I ran the program but couldn’t zoom in on my favorite coasts as I’m surrounded by the Great Lakes - which go up, then go down. Same for our inland lakes. Maybe that’s a myopic viewpoint, but I’ve only visited sea coastal areas - and wondered why so many build nearly on top of the water. Our planet is never stagnant.

As for the NBC news story, am glad they used the word could.

Someone mentioned that the polar ice caps melting was leading to the oceans rising. That might be the case with Antarctica, but not for the Arctic. The Ice at the north pole is floating.

I live in the PNW and I have observed the sea level for seven decades. If there has been a change, it is undetectable, because basically, the sea level is never static. The water levels on pilings that have been in place for as long as I can remember are still clearly–on average-- the same as ever. However, last summer I took pictures of these pilings specifically because the water level was the lowest I have ever seen.

The prime changer of average ocean water levels is the sun and I don’t think man will ever control the sun, so there isn’t much to gain by worrying about it. It would do about as much good as trying to convince China to quit building islands in the ocean, which actually could raise ocean levels by an undetectable amount if the fill were from above the ocean.

All of that said, I still would encourage all who worry about such things to cut their CO2 output to zero.

There’s more to the Arctic than the ocean. The ice on Greenland is not floating, and it’s not exactly an inconsequential amount. Of course, a whole lot of it is already gone.

I said the ice at the north pole was floating; when did they move Greenland to the north pole?

You did indeed say that ice at the north pole was floating, but you introduced that idea by saying that melting ice in the arctic cannot contribute to rising sea levels, so it makes perfectly good sense to point out that most of Greenland is not only in the Arctic but makes up a sizable percentage of the area of Arctic ice (for another perspective, note that a whole lot of the floating ice cap is a lot farther from the north pole than a whole lot of Greenland). Or I could just ask you, "When did they move Greenland out of the arctic? "

Okay, but I never said that Greenland was not in the Arctic–just not at the north pole.

Greenland was not covered with ice when the Vikings discovered it, hence the name. Climate always changes, and what man does has an effect. 97% of scientists agree with the second sentence here, some of them disagree as to how much man is the cause. The arguments are as much political as scientific.

Greenland is enormous, and to make a blanket statement about the climate of the whole island makes as much sense as saying that since you’ve experienced the weather in Houston, surely it never snows in Wisconsin and Minnesota. By the same token, it makes absolutely no sense to speak as if Greenland is “one place” which was inhabited by Vikings. The southern edge of Greenland had green summers in those days and that has been continuously the case up until the present day, and the southern edge, of course, is where the Vikings settled. And the parts of Greenland which in recent times have been contiguous with the arctic ice cap, were indeed covered with ice in Viking times too.

There is actually some fairly good evidence that Greenland was ice-free or nearly so, for some 280,000 years. Over a million years ago.

http://www.livescience.com/57130-greenland-ice-past-suggests-uncertain-future.html

@magooch said:
Okay, but I never said that Greenland was not in the Arctic–just not at the north pole.

Again, your stated purpose was to show that melting of the arctic ice cap cannot possibly cause sea levels to rise, so don’t ignore that at this point as if it’s no longer relevant. I suspect that you simply forgot that a significant volume of the arctic ice cap is on dry land, but in that case at least your reasoning is correct, even if your claim is still wrong. The fact that you only actually spoke of ice at the pole (whether due to oversight or ignorance makes no difference) does not get you off the hook for originally making and attempting to support an erroneous claim.

No, the original statement said the polar ice caps melting was causing oceans to rise. I’m well aware that the Arctic region includes land masses, but the north pole does not.

The statement that 97 percent of scientists agree on global warming is as unproven as the rest of the theory, But then, yesterday the pilings I mentioned in a previous post were completely covered, so I guess the ocean indeed did rise significantly. We’re doomed.