sea trial of a rob roy under sail

took out the rob roy today with 20 to 25 knts. weather service said gusting to 30. i “hoisted” the large spirit sail, headed down wind and blasted across the local bay. i watched the gps go from 4 to 5 to 6 to 7 very quick. i was then unable to watch the gps as i was constantly bracing/ruddering. i also kept running into the back of the waves ahead of me, the boat trying to broach. it was almost out of control. i almost death rolled once and came clost to upsetting a couple/three times. the sail bent nearly to the deck. fun as hell.

retro: i wouldn’t sail in those conditions while tripping. a spray deck would have helped today. 20 knots or so winds is about all me and my boat can handle with a large spirit sail.

Dang Chad
I wish I was there with you. You make it soung like fun!

We want fotos! ;^)
Almost made it down to paddle with you the second week of Dec, but just got cancelled. Dang!!!

:^(

Mick

yeah!
I’m getting fat and lazy,thinking of down wind rigs or tieing up two boats like a catamaran with a sailrig

it was quite fun :slight_smile:
sailed today under 10 knot conditions and it felt very comfortable. today i could actually do sweep strokes and surf some smaller waves while under sail. lots of fun. the real kicker is taking the sail down. it’s a tough choir if the wind is 15+. i’d like to get the smaller one for the heavy days. feel free to come down and give it a try. winds should be predictable for the next six months or so. :slight_smile: