Seakayak buying advice

keep building them the molds moved down the street and parts department.

One thing nobody has mentioned here is don’t buy new. If you buy used and decide you need something different you can likely get pretty close to what you paid for it.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear about Current Designs. As a larger paddler on Maine coastal waters, I was concerned about cockpit size/ease of ingress/egress, and went with a Current Designs Solstice GT, which I recently sold. Great boat, the only thing I didn’t care for was the foot peg rudder, and the stiff tension of raising the rudder. Would have preferred a skeg in retrospect. Look around, mine was a good deal for the buyer, there should be plenty of them out there.

That’s the model my husband has, it holds a lot of gear. He leaves the rudder down until we beach.

My hubby is about your size and experience level. He ended up purchasing a Cetus MV (medium volume). He absolutely loves it! It’s fast, stable, and easy to maneuver.
He purchased his kayak used, but in excellent condition. In doing so, he was able to get a very well respected, very good quality kayak for less than the price of a new plastic one. He paid $2000.
I recommend you take your time and keep your eyes peeled to kayak classifieds on this site, as well as kayak classifieds on Facebook Marketplace.
If you purchase quality, you will never feel the need to upgrade.

1 Like

you can get huge bang for the buck used if you look DAILY. Good deals go fast. I’ve bought 8 steals for a fraction of the cost.

4 Likes

Just a reply and update ~
Well my heart is now set on a NDK Excel … yup . thats the one
Just deciding if I grab an demo , new in stock or order one to arrive May/June next year !

3 Likes

Did you look at the Boreal Designs range of kayaks. ??? Canadian made !!

China

Boreal Design’s plastic kayaks are made overseas in Kayak Distribution’s new factory in Xiamen, China . They’ve just moved to this factory, which has a larger production capacity than their previous manufacturing facility in Shanghai.

I am also a whitewater paddler (canoe) who decided it was time to get a sea kayak. I live in RI (great sea kayaking) and I was having issues with my knee that made it tough to kneel in my canoe. I’m also a big guy (5’ 10", 235 lbs., more like 42" waist), and that definitely limits your options. To be honest it was a bit overwheming, but after some great advice from the folks on this board, I ended up with a 2004 P&H Capella 166 RM. $600 and it will do everything that I need it to do to learn the sport. When it is time to move up, I’ll know what I am looking for, and I’ll pass this boat on to the next newbie. Or maybe I’ll just keep it…

For me (bigger guy) toughest part of kayaking is getting in and out of the boat. You are going to need a bigger cockpit, which is also going to limit your options. I don’t have a roll, so I need to spend a lot more time practicing self rescues. It takes different muscles and a higher level of flexibility than I have a the moment. Working on that.

I love the boat, but haven’t spent as much time in it as I thought I would. With physical therapy and regular exercise, my knee has been good (knock wood) and I am still paddling whitewater in my canoe. :slight_smile:

My advice would be not to worry about getting the “perfect” boat. Get a capable boat that gets you out in the water, and the rest will take care of itself over time.

p.s. - I did look at a used NDK Excel, but cheaped out on the plastic boat.

1 Like

Just want to point out that skeg housings limit the amount of gear you can carry when camping.

1 Like

I look at this as an ‘advantage’, to keep me from carrying too much ‘stuff’.
eg: an old planning diagram of how I packed for a long trip:

4 Likes

Great planning diagram.

The issue I have yet to suitably resolve is restowing gear after it gets wet from dew/rain and sandy (90% beach camping in my area). What’s your plan/advice?

Others probably have better ways to deal with wet tents, I just pack and take off (mostly).
My situation is further aggravated as I use single walled tents - no fly (eg: Bibler, Black Diamond), so they always get wet. I just mop off as best as I can (quickly) with an absorbent towel and pack in a dry bag.
If I stop at lunch, maybe pull it out to dry.

I used to diagram my packing schemes, too! Works well, and it serves as a reference that doesn’t need memorization or continued trial and error.

1 Like

Now that you have decided on a boat I would strongly suggest looking at the used market. With a minimum of care a boat will last for decades and kayaks really don’t change that much from year to year.

A used boat will cost about half of what a new one costs and if you change your mind after paddling it for a season and have a better idea of what you really want, you can usually sell a used boat for what you paid for it.

This is a good time of year to look for used boats.

2 Likes

Yup ~ am looking daily but nothing as of yet. I do have a line on a demo or can order new ??
Am actively looking and keeping faith for a used but not so sure it will be coming up anytime soon.

One can hope.
Cheers

Well how soon do you need it?

With the chilling cold paddles which I would be taking from now until the Spring I can wait thats for sure … However have to Dec anyways before the drop dead date of ordering new for June/July ( I hope) comes.

1 Like

I’m an impulse buyer I could never wait that long. Now to July :scream:. Ninety days max.