Seal Skinz water proof socks..??

Has anyone tried the 15" Seal Skinz Water Blocker waterproof socks, or their shorter all-season water proof sock?

If either of these products would keep my feet dry inside my jungle boots in the BWCAW this summer it would be great.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

don’t waste your money
I bought a pair from NRS and they leaked from the first time I used them. They did take them back but I was out the shipping cost both ways. KK

Leaking
I’ve bought several pair of both gloves and socks from Sealskinz. Some have leaked; some have not.

After the first pair leaked and I returned them for a new pair I tested them before wearing them outside. I put them on and stepped each foot (and then stuck each hand) into a bucket of cold water.

It doesn’t take long to know if you’ve got a leaky pair. It seems their quality control is not so good. By my experience, better for the socks than the gloves probably because there’s more seam to seal on the gloves.

Marty

NOT GREAT
Mine seem to be waterproof but not very breathable so your feet still end up fairly wet…

Agreed . . .
Mine are waterproof, but breathability in any sort of waterproof footwear seems like an elusive dream. You might try wool socks, then the sealskins, and just bring extra socks.

I just accept that I will have wet feet and go with a neoprene sock if conditions are cold, and a wool one if they are not. Old sneakers go over either of these, and I have a dry pair of shoes for camp.

Seal Skinz QA
has tanked.

I have owned both lined and unlined versions of their socks and gloves, and these products do not work as advertised; and the defective ones leak as well.

Last time I returned a new pair of defective gloves (i.e. seams in fingers had come apart) for replacement, I received no response whatsoever from Seal Skinz. Note: I had purchased this particular pair of gloves directly from the company and enclosed copies of all receipts.

My 2 cents is to take a pass on Seal Skinz products.

Mr canoehead has the right idea on footwear and sock combinations.

I’ve read w/ interest.
I have the Seals Skins gloves and used them about 5 times this winter. I have the uninsulated ones. I noticed that the outside does hold water even though they kept my hands perfectly dry. In colder than 40F, my hands were still cold because of that, but they were bone dry, and it only had an effect if I actually dipped my hand IN the water (call it a test). I can’t attest to longevity, though. I assume the socks would be similar.

As far as socks go, I haven’t bothered because I got a pair of Chota Mukluk Lights. Cannot say enough about these. They’re like wearing slippers. Very comfy. I wouldn’t want to portage long distance with them, but I don’t, so that’s not a problem. Two pairs of socks, and toe warmers if it’s really cold. For those of you saying you’ve learned to live with cold, wet feet: Why?!

YoS

warm wet feet. . .
My feet aren’t cold, as the neoprene keeps them toasty. They are wet. Why? Well, sometimes my portages involve wading through hip-deep mud and bog. And, by sometimes, I mean usually. Just lucky I guess.

Get some chest waders, by all means.

he who wears chest waders

– Last Updated: May-21-08 8:45 PM EST –

in water that could be over ones head might be in for an interesting upside down view of the underwater landscape.

With the caveat that what works for me where I paddle may not work for you where you paddle:

Early (April through June) and late (October through November) in the Adirondacks and on the St. Lawrence River it's a Kokatat Gortex dry suit with built in Gortex booties with super wool socks underneath; Chota Mukluk Lights in narrow (i.e. 21 in wide) kayaks and Chota Quicklace Mukluks in wider (i.e. 23 in to 24 in wide)kayaks. And you're most certainly not going to want to walk too far wearing Chota Mukluk Lights.

Whenever you step in water that is deeper than the mukluk is high that water is certain to enter your footwear.

For summer Sandpiper canoe Adirondack bog and swamp exploring it's Chota Queticio Trekkers with neo or wool socks - and the wet feet are not cold feet in this combination of footwear and socks.

Well, that’s a bunch of crap.
Has it happened to you? There are videos on the net about that, completely disproving it. Now if you’re GK and PFD-repressed, then that’s another story. But the idea that your pfd-supported head and torso are going to sink because your waders have some buoyancy is, well, all wet.

As to the lights, I specifically stated I don’t portage, and I can’t argue with you on those being distance-hiking-unfriendly. But cinched tight at the top, I HAVE stepped in deeper water than they are high without getting a drop inside. But I was wearing long pants (NON-watertight cargos) tucked inside the Chotas with the strap pulled tight. YMMV. . . .

YoS