Seal Skinz Waterproof socks...???

Has anyone tried the 15" Seal Skinz Water Blocker waterproof socks, or their shorter all-season water proof sock?

If either of these products would keep my feet dry inside my jungle boots in the BWCAW this summer it would be great.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

My experience
Worked for a while, part of a season under heavy use, and gave up the ghost. I’d say worthwhile if you are looking at a season of limited use, that kind of thing.

trim nails, thick socks
I think they work fine, there isn’t much use in getting the regular length ones as cuff will wick water down splashing in puddles. The only concern I’d have is for hot weather if they’d be too hot. I’ve used them cycling and cold weather, it’s nice not having soaked feet while the shoes dry out.

waterproof, yes
I’ve used them for years and continue to buy them. They are waterproof to start out, but the waterproof layer tends to wear through more quickly than I’d like. I now use them mainly as an oversock for my drysuit booties.

I much prefer the tallest ones. Consider what you’re going to wear underneath them when choosing a size.

– Mark

They’re ok if
They’re okay if you might step in a puddle or two during portages and launching, but for longterm immersion, the water starts to seep through.

They have always…

…worked well for me, but the last pair with the

ankle gasket, one of the socks had a failed ankle gasket.

that makes no sense at all.

waste of money
try nrs hydroskin socks

I’d have to say that…
…I’ve been fairly pleased with my Seal Skinz socks (the higher, I suppose, models at 15" thereabouts) the last three years, when applied in the specific manner recommended to me by Topher.

That is, when the weather has turned cold, as well as the water, and I’ve resorted to using my, formerly MEC Swellies, now Chota Quik-Lace Mukluks. I wear the Seal Skinz beneath my Mukluks, most often overtop a lighter pair of wool-blend socks like Smartwools. The Seal Skinz in this fashion provide extra insulation, and an additional water barrier to the Mukluks should I step into subaqueous impromptu exploratories, wherein seepage (hell, gushin’, too) often will run inside the Mukluks.

In this manner, I’ve gotten about two seasons out of my first pair before noticeable infiltration began to occur when I stepped out of my Mukluks and into water with just the Skinz on. I have to admit - I’m a fiery fella - sometimes my feet have gotten a little damp in this three-layer scenario of which I spoke, although that’s where the SmartWool socks came in, doing a fairly nice job of absorbing the foot perspiration while keeping me warm without claminess.

With another pair of Seal Skinz I acquired, I found that wearing them alone or with an undersock beneath my Chacos sandals, initially that worked fairly well for just stepping from my canoe into shallow, sub 10" and less stuff onto shore, but that soon the sandal straps had begun to chafe the exterior of the Skinz and that is where I suspect my experiences with damper feet began to start.

So, having them as an underlayer to some other exterior, in my case Mukluks, seemed to help prolong both their use and efficacy. After some recent altercations with my Mukluks and some nasty Assateague greenbriars, I’m presently moving into new footwear experimentations, wherein the Mukluks will become encased within NEOS waterproof (so they say) Outershoes. We’ll see. I’ll probably ditch the Seal Skinz except in the colder winter paddles should this combo work out. Hope so, as the NEOS also bring to the equation heels, aomething not available on the Chota Quik-lace Mukluks anymore (perhaps only still available on their Marsh/Nunnavut Models), and as a poler I’ll greatly welcome that additional foot support for some of my more lengthy standing sojourns.

Oh, one other thing. Seal Skinz are pretty damn expensive, as is most of the nicer gear we paddlers tend to gravitate towards, as are desire for comforts elevates in direct correlation to are age. Fortunately last year, I found an internet site that was selling bulk-quantities of Seal Skinz which were Brittish Army Surplus (no corporate logo), so that the per pair cost for my order of about eight pairs, with shipping figured in, came down to about $15. Without even asking, I bought the lot, and quickly had several friends who wished to purchase a pair (they were all in that men’s size 10-12 realm., I believe). Kept a couple pairs for my kids to try-out over their winter socks and inside their sandals (Chotas for a kid’s fast growing-feet? What, you crazy?) when they do some cool fall-n-spring paddles.

Well, too much information, I’m sure, But maybe you can cull somethin’ useful from it.

Regards,

TW

Agree
Waste of money. Mine were good at keeping things soggy once the water got in, as it always did.

Seal Skinz and NEOS
Seal Skinz by themselves are okay for light seasonal or day use. I wouldn’t want to rely on them soley for tripping or long cold outings, though. They do work really well when combined with Chota Quick laces, but it can get a little snug. As previously mentioned, liner socks are comfortable.

As a mailman, I love my NEOS overshoes. They have quickly become the favorite overshoe of letter carriers for rain and snow. However, there is no watertight seal at the top. They are light and easy to put on and take off. There are both short and tall varieties; insulated and uninsulated.

I hate them
I got the short ones. First time out, kneeling in boat, water ran right in. Then they were very difficult to get off. Took forever for them to dry. For that reason, I would never bring them on a trip. I wrote the company and complained. They sent taller ones, free. Nicer. First time out, ditto, just harder to get off. After five uses, I threw them in the trash.

Leaking
’ve bought several pair of both gloves and socks from Sealskinz. Some have leaked; some have not.

After the first pair leaked and I returned them for a new pair I tested them before wearing them outside. I put them on and stepped each foot (and then stuck each hand) into a bucket of cold water.

It doesn’t take long to know if you’ve got a leaky pair. It seems their quality control is not so good. By my experience, better for the socks than the gloves probably because there’s more seam to seal on the gloves.

Marty

Been using my…
Seal Skinz since they first came out (waaaaaayyyy back when) also used the SSportsmansGuide brand. No problems with either brands ever!!! But the Seal Skinz do keep my piggies alittle toastier… lol

Paddle easy,

Coffee

I’ve got couple of pairs…
…that I used on a river in the Yukon three years ago. Mine tended to leak and my feet were continuously damp. I ended up just wearing my water shoes with no socks. On some days my feet were wet all day long (water temp around 35 degrees) and my feet were more comfy sans socks.

Well, I’ll say it again
don’t waste your money. The pair I bought leaked as soon as they got even a little water on them.

KK

(wonder what happened to my original post?)

Have them. Love 'em.
They’ve worked just fine all through the winter and kept my feet dry. My wife’s too. She has to keep her feet dry due to eczema. They’ve worked for her.

Dont work at all
After the first wash they just keep water in. Sure its warm water.

Last week I chucked them .Had to wade streams in snowstorms.

My silk liner socks were warmer and dried under the tarp even in the snow and rain.

The Seal Skins stayed a damp lump. God knows if thats cotton inside. Nothing like putting cold Seal Skins on at minus three celsius.

same poster

– Last Updated: May-24-08 6:30 AM EST –

and same topic on another message board.

Recent discussion on Seal Skinz and paddling footwear.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=wtrip&tid=879568

Mine also leaked after a couple
of uses.

I detect a trend.

Not Waterproof
Mine do a great job of keeping my feet dry provided I don’t expose them to water. Seriously though, they’re OK for brief immersions but water does eventually get inside. I have the taller ones with the waterproof membrane which really doesn’t work too well. I only use mine as a backup to my Chotas in colder weather in case I over-top the boots. Don’t use Seal Skinz alone if you absolutely must keep your feet dry.