Seasick?

in MagooNS’ fine TR

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=chat&tid=224684

He mentions feeling seasick while paddling coastal NS.

I tend to get dizzy in swells so have taken to wearing anti seasickness wristbands. Seems to work in moderate seas.

Anybody else have this problem?

Remedies?

TIA

Tommy

ginger works
for me on the dive boats. I begin the day before taking 3 ginger capsuls (from health food store) three times that day, then 3 or 4 the morning of the dive. Last feb. i had no symptoms during 7 days of diving while others did. By the way, I’m sensitive to motion sickness and have been known to get sick riding in a car. Medications work but make me “buzzed”, not a good state when diving or paddling.

good luck

sharon

Yes, and it’s even worse for me on
my husband’s sailboat:( The bands don’t work well for me, but I have experienced some relief with ginger, ginger lemonade and mints or mint gum. It seems to be more of a problem for me when I am stationary in swells, and when doing things on my deck, like going through a drybag or reading a map.

They have relief bands that send a small current to the accupuncture point, but these bands are pricey (about $100), and only water resistant, so I haven’t tried them paddling, but may ask my husband to invest in them for sail boating. I also have a script for a scopalomine patch, but I haven’t tried one yet, so don’t know how sleepy it will make me. Dramamine and bonine work well for me, but put me to sleep, so I can’t imagine trying to even get to the launch site while taking these!

scopalamine
i can get seasick in big sea swells if i have to spend alot of time looking down, as in rescuing somebody … great time to get sick eh? i’ve tried ginger, wrist bands, dramamine, bonine, you name it. nothing works for me but “the patch”. put that scopalamine patch behind my ear and i can paddle in anything. probably ride a merry-go-round too.

no side effects but for a slightly dry mouth. put in on 4 hours before you might need it and it’s good for 72 hours.

i’ve used scopalamine pills too which work within 15 minutes of swallowing one and lasts for about 4 hours.

Short term scopalomine?
Cool. I hope we have that in Canada. The long-term patch gave me extreme drymouth, tunnel vision and I got sick anyway. :frowning:

I think smokin weed must work good
Seems to work for me. I cant remember ever getting seasick in a kayak. :slight_smile:

There’s a lot to that
It’s a known benefit (controlling motion sickness).

I proved it once on a horrifying ferry ride where the decks were awash with vomit, and I was just dandy.

the seabands also prevent morningsicknes

Ginger works best if you take it before
you get sick. Flatpick endorses candied ginger and so do I, though I often carry ginger tea as well.

Seasickness is even worse when you are looking down a lot, doing lots of rescues, training others etc. Look to the horizon when you can. even for a moment.

I did not even know you could get scopalamine for motion sickness any more. a quick search seems to indicate that patches are available but I saw no notes of oral use.

FWIW I’ve yet to be seasick in a kayak, (knocking on wood)