seasickness on rough waters

polarized sunglasses?
I find that plarized sunglasses in choppy swell always turns my stomach from the saltwater screwing with the polarization. switching to nonpolarized helped a ton

small pieces 1 - 2"
The first time I seemed to need it about every 20 minutes or so…I had taken Dramamine the night before-9pm-then when I got up-3am-2.5hr drive to put in-then before on the water-6:30am-then while on the water-noonish…the guide we went with kept giving me the ginger when I looked “green”. It seemed to average out about every 30 minutes the next time out on the ocean-but with the Meclizine-and the wrist bands I don’t need the ginger.

When I get off the water-I am okay after about 10 minutes.

ML

Just a quick question
How does salt water screw with polarization?

(I’m a chemist, I’m intrigued by this statement)

scopolomine patch
has worked for me several times, whether it was kayaking or taking a tour of Ireland in a bus around the curvy windy roads. I live by it, since I am very very prone to motion sickness. Be very carful though, if you use the patch and put it behind your ear, make sure you wash your hands very very well before touching your face( eyes). I accidently got some into my eyes and my pupils were severely dilated for 2 weeks!!!

Scoplamine yes, Gatorade no…
I used to cut the patch in half. Worked great on rough diving days.

Gatorade often makes me nauseous while paddling.

That’a a coincidence
I’m a chemist too.

I figure the saltwater interaction with polarization of the light must have something to do with the dipolar moment of the water molecule. It probably changes as the bow of the boat twists them.

Gatorade Uncut
Too much sugar etc on your stomach if it is already stressed from heat or something else. Old bicyclist trick, cut it half with water to make it easier to digest.

That said, solid food will usually do better things for a rolling stomach from seasickness than anything real sugary. Tho’ the gatorade is a good thing to have if you have just lost your lunch.

LeeG on breakfast
Yes. I did eat an orange an hour before going out too.

Thanks
It took me about a half hour to be able to feel more like normal once off the waves and was drained for the whole day. Felt like a real wimp.

So much for the “great adventurer”.

that’s interesting
Will have to look into that.

Wow…I heard the do not touch eyes…
thing about a natural behind the ear drop.

I think probably the patch in a low dose, might be an option for the next extended trip, then maybe, like others say, I can get acclimatized and just carry the ginger to be safe.

Very good information to take in here.

Thanks!

They kept trying to get me to eat…
Just the thought of food made me sicker. Odd thing too, for all you chemist, I did drink water and it tasted like it had fruit sugar in it.

I thought I had mixed it with something, but when they got me back I drank from a new bottle and it tasted the same - Sweet… tasted it later when I felt better and it tasted like water.

I figure some enzyme in my mouth was the culprit, but even keeping water down was a stretch.

Usually I drink water.
This is the first I drank gatorade, so am hoping that, and nervousness are the culprits.

3-4 ft waves?

– Last Updated: May-24-07 9:01 AM EST –

Sounds kind of scary for a first time adventure. Your emotional state is a giant factor in getting sea sick. Were you nervous? I would be for the first time in those waves. Stress and anxiety (nervousness) pumps chemicals into the system that really can cause havoc on the body.

Ginger works but is not immediate after use. You need to incorporate it into your diet. I would suspect that in a few weeks by playing in some waves you'll find you'll enjoy it and not get motion sick. Work your way up from smaller waves. I wouldn't worry about it. Laugh it off as the insignificant incident it is.

I see people get on ferrys, and prepare for this great battle about getting sick and If nobody told them there was such a thing as "sea sick" it would never happen.

Seasickness
I believe Bonine works better than Dramanine. Dramanine tends to make some people sleepy. Take at least an hour before going out. Also, watch the horizon, not the waves. Motion sickness tends to hit people who are watching something close by. Examples: People who go below while in a boat, people who watch the waves or wake of the boat. The skipper of the boat doesn’t get sick because he is watching the stationaly horizon.

heehee…
I’ve played in the waves and enjoyed it, but this was such a long span of non-ending, over your head waves that I kept thinking, “I am going to die”, then when I got seasick I kinda wished I would…

I was nervous though and the current and waves were so strong, that I didn’t dare stop paddling long enough to drink water, so think a lot of things combined did me in.

It was definitely a learning experience and a humbling one at that, but I do want to get more experience at it, just without the vomiting part…

Meclizine
works really well. I take one before bed and then again before I launch. Being seasick in the middle of a 20 mile crossing in 6-8 ft swells sucks.

Might be onto something
Sometimes when I look at fresh snow with polarized sunglasses, I feel a little dizzy. Doesn’t happen with nonpolarized ones.

Crystals of salt or snow?

gatorade
and other sports drinks have given me queasy stomach on occasion.

Polarized lenses bad!
Diving offshore, or on long “floats”, we always used to tell new seamen that it takes 72 hours to get your sea legs, and lose the susceptability to seasickness. Easily the worst feeling in the world, if you ask me.

Visual acuity and disruptors to same can play a major role in seasickness. Polarized glasses, IMO, are a VERY bad idea offshore. The very tiny slots in the coating which polarize the light actually make things a tiny bit blurry. Those who have very good visual acuity can actually see things as being blurry when wearing polarized lenses. Anyhow, it’s my thinking that the eyes are constantly working when wearing polarized lenses, and this can make one feel dizzy, even on flat land.