seasickness on rough waters

well its more the drying spots
the residue saltwater leaves on my glasses always causes my stomach to turn

Interesting!

– Last Updated: May-24-07 4:41 PM EST –

I wear one contact lens and the eye without the lens sees clear up close, but not distance, the waves were coming at me from that side too. Would be interesting to experiment and go the opposite direction to see how I handled it that way, though think the seasick patch and ginger are going to be my tag-a-longs next time I go out in anything like that, just to be on the safe side.

Might check with your doc

– Last Updated: May-24-07 6:18 PM EST –

Maybe nothing, but the sweet tasting water makes me think more sugar crash than anything.

Sweet taste can be a symptom of diabetes, thyroid issues, etc. The episode was most likely just what is seems - motion sickness - but small chance that is could also be a warning of something else.

More likely in this case the sweet taste was just part of the after effects of vomiting (your "enzyme" suspicion"). People with reflux that get small amounts of stomach liquids all the way to the mouth experience this sometimes - as it alters taste buds reactions - so it makes sense that post vomiting effects would do same.

Deep Science !
I have a cold fusion device I would like to sell to you!

this focus on anti-nausea aids
sure seems to be missing some fundamentals in order for you to be in your comfort zone.

No amount of ginger will address low blood sugar, anxiety, stress, exertion, and last time since a meal.

If an ambulance was called or anyone trained in first aid came to take care of you the first things asked would be when your last meal was an your intake of water(not gatorade). Gatorade is not food or water, its Gatorade.

I’m focusing on this because I had someone in a class who was a nutritionist, very low fat/body mass and came to a four hour class on an empty stomach and ran out of energy in two hours. I made sure in everyclass to ask folks in a joking intro to tell what they had for breakfast. Those who had toast and coffee, or nothing I tossed an energy bar because 80% of the time this person was losing their sense of humor or focus half way through. And this is basic flatwater stuff.

So I make sure to mention to her to have a breakfast, not that the next class was especially vigorous,although technically more challenging,but that she saw what happened when she tried to do something new for four hours on no food.

“think of this as going for a four hour walk,you wouldn’t do that on an empty stomach would you?”

So what happens at the next class? She had half a snickers bar on the way.

er…

I don’t get a sense how long you were paddling in those six hours since breakfast but if you had done nothing you’d be past lunch and starting a stressful activity on an empty stomach. Antinausea aids won’t address being in a diminished capacity.

they kept trying to get you to eat
Sounds like they were telling you something.

Sorry if this sounds like beating a dead horse but it’s not uncommon for folks to apply day to day life skills inappropriately to new activities.

One might go to work on a cup of coffee and cruise to lunch with three hundred calories of something. Or have a breakfast then cruise through the day on a few hundred calories and catch up at dinner. Sometimes a person can burn the candle at both ends in a familiar work environment that isn’t a physical job. Or maybe have an exercise routine that is 45minutes long everyday and be very fit.

But the first time you are in a new situation that does have some challenge to it and go for HOURS doing it it’s a substantially different situation.

All interesting things to consider…
I guess I will never know the exact cause of it, or if it will reoccur. I rarely get hungry when paddling, which is odd, because I graze continuously at home and work.

Odd thing, we left out around 10:00 AM and when I got back, I figured I had been out an hour. Turns out it had been 4 and a half hours!

Time flies when you are having fun, or barfing, one… that was an odd feeling though, like I had gotten transported forward in the day.

ways of knowing
repeat the experience but change a variable.

This is as serious as going out without a pfd or loose hatch cover. To not know is to live with the risk of it happening again and requiring others to care for you in potentially dangerous conditions or causing others to hurt themselves in your care. The surf zone is a potentially dangerous condition.

Ok, you graze continuously at home or work where the energy expenditure is substantially less than paddling in 3’ waves especially when those conditions are new to you.

But NOW you go paddling, it’s six hours since a meal and you AREN"T grazing.

When an athlete depletes their reserves they bonk, when an average person bonks and is overstressed as you were things tend to shut down all over,or open up as the case may be.

"Odd thing, we left out around 10:00 AM and when I got back, I figured I had been out an hour. Turns out it had been 4 and a half hours!

Time flies when you are having fun, or barfing, one… that was an odd feeling though, like I had gotten transported "

I’m going to hammer this one more time. To ignore your bodies needs in a challenging environment is no different than lying to fellow paddlers about your paddling skills then put them into a position of having to rescue you all the time and the focus is on you and not the trip.

Are you serious that you don’t know what cause it? You usually graze in a familiar low exertion environment (I assume that’s what work/home is compared to 3’ waves) but then skip a meal while your caloric output and stress go up probably by a factor of three.

My guess is that your glycogen reserves in your body aren’t that large and your body isn’t trained to recover from large depletions.

Either way this is serious stuff and worth knowing. When friends tell you to eat they’re telling you something from OUTSIDE your transported mindset.

I used to get very queazy in my yak
in rough water. The cure for me was to just keep going out in rough water. I don’t get sick anymore.

I agree 100%
I kept looking at the variables and have narrowed it down to this:

Ate light breakfast and was nervous, but felt good through backside of Island paddle.

Drank gatorade instead of water thinking it would provide extra energy.

Took waves from side and could not focus on horizon because horizon kept disappearing when I went down in the troughs.

So, think the waves did me in with seasickness and the lack of glycogen and water prevented me from recovering once it hit.

So, next time I go out on waves like that, if I ever do… I will attempt to take pre-emptive action, but I think from now on, my travel pack will have motion sickness medication and or ginger just in case, and next time my friend tells me he feels a little queasy when we are in mild wave action, I will NOT laugh at him and call him a wimp, but seriously keep an eye on him and check frequently to make sure he is okay.

It’s funny until it happens to you, and then it ‘ain’t’ so funny anymore!!!

It’s more state of mind
than anything else. If you keep feeling apprehensive every time you launch, without feeling sick, you’ll more than likely enduce the nausea. Eat right, be sensible, try what works or pleases you to use, but most importantly, DON’T PSYCH YOURSELF OUT. Again, I’m willing to bet anything if you lose the apprehension when preparing to launch, you’ll overcome the sensations in no time. Can’t let seasickness get the better of you, this is too great of an activity to miss out on due to motion issues! Stay positive, even about the negative, then you can be an example even to the more experienced paddlers in your group! Happy M-Day!!

it’s serious
heading into a changing environment with inadequate caloric reserves/water is one of those things that usually makes the difference between having fun and being grumpy but with extremes of exposure/submersion can make the difference between being cold and hypothermia or alive and dying.

ONCE you notice someone not doing well or they notice you not doing well IT"S TOO LATE. Pre-emptive action is having food and water in your system or available. The travel pack of antinausea aids is AFTER you’ve made sure food/water are good.

It takes some straight talk with people to break them out of their normal responses to questions like “how are you feeling?”…“I’m fine” and you notice they’re really not looking fine.

I’ve seen this too much and it happens to people of all ages. My daughter did it on school camping trips a couple times. Heading out slightly dehydrated or underfed then becoming ill on the water. Entirely preventable. No different than not letting the gas tank run empty on the car. Once is enough,twice someone isn’t paying attention.

On a related issue I was helping on a bikathon fundraiser involving multiple days of long distance cycling. I’m middle aged and fat now but used to cycle long distances and race in my 20’s. In the medical tent I saw a surprising number of normally plump young women who were dehydrated but they HAD been drinking. Basically they were putting out more energy and sweat than their bodies were accustomed to doing and tossing in the total stress of the activity their bodies couldn’t replenish the stores AS they continued the activity. So they could be snacking and drinking but as they drained their energy reserves they didn’t have the capacity to build them back up or maintain them WHILE riding.

In your case once you used up available glycogen you were long past the time recovery was possible with more food/water and getting sick was the only way your body was telling you to stop. Taking anti-nausea medication will enable to to crash into spacey delerium and needing a tow without throwing up. I don’t see the improvement from the towers perspective.

It’s not a state of mind
nausea is not a state of mind anymore than diarhea is a state of mind. Ones anxiety level or state of mind can be a contributor but the actual condition is not a state of mind nor will it be addressed by changing the state of your mind when the causes are not in your mind.

Other medications can contribute
Other medications can contribute to seasickness. I was having a lot of joint pain and took a Vicodin prior to paddling once. Big mistake - we were in a protected bay with big rising swell - and my equilibrium was affected - I turned green in a hurry and had to return to still waters. I recovered, drank more water, and was able to proceed and paddle OK once again. I’ll never get on the water with any type of narcotic pain meds again. Ibuprofen only! I’ve been on lots of rough water other times with no effect. I can get queasy on a large boat if I can’t see out the window though . . .

Paula