Seat pan repair

I split my Eddyline seat pan yesterday, where the plastic rides above the track just below the seat position knob. It’s split about an inch on both sides, but still connected from the center.

I’ve emailed Eddyline and included photos, but won’t hear from them until Monday. Don’t want to lose paddling time until the replacement comes in so thought I could tape the splits then move the seat all the way back so there’s no pressure on it. I normally have the seat all the way forward with the foot braces positioned so that my legs are only slightly bent.

Just not sure which tape would be best. Duct? Gorilla? Anything else out there?

Thanks.

Epoxy

– Last Updated: Sep-20-16 9:43 AM EST –

I have no idea what Eddyline makes their seats out of, but if it is some kind of plastic, you could try some two part epoxy. I've used it on a lot of things and it is a cheap and easy fix. If you have a Home Depot nearby, their price for all kinds of stuff like that is pretty reasonable.

It is plastic

– Last Updated: Sep-17-16 11:35 AM EST –

and in looking at it again after pulling the seat out, it is split all the way across. Have to go to Home Depot anyway to get some waterproof wood glue for splinter repair, so will see what they have available.

My Lumpy took a few hits as well in a hellish shallow section with breaking waves.

How long does it take epoxy to dry?

My thanks.

Dry time depends on the mix
Epoxy dry times vary according to the specific resin and hardener. Some have fast hardeners and slower hardeners.

If you get a small quantiy from the glue rack at the box store, it will likely tell you the dry and cure times.

Just out of curiousity, how did you break the seat?

~~Chip

I don’t know.

– Last Updated: Sep-17-16 5:19 PM EST –

Maybe stress on the seat? I did a 15 mile event yesterday. Constant headwinds of 15 mph, then 18 gusting to 28 in the last section.

Had to use a lot of rotation to power the stick to move forward. Except when I was literally laying across the bow when the gusts hit to lower my profile - but still paddle.

Heard a loud cracking sound just as we entered a (thankfully placid) river, but had my skirt on and my boat wasn't sinking so I didn't see the damage until arriving at the final checkpoint.

Examining the seat, the plastic section that extends from the center of the seat pan is thinner and more pliable, which it has to be in order to lift it over the track and the bolt the adjustment knob screws into when installing the seat. It's the weakest link.

Edited to update that I used Gorilla tape as an initial fix as it was the simplest option. Reinstalled the seat with no problem, moving it all the way back, then sat in the boat. Hopefully it will hold until I can get a replacement seat, but it now makes noise when I rotate. I can live with that for a few days. Will do a water test tomorrow as today is repair day. My Lumpy is next now that I've got a bottle of TiteBond III.

G Flex
I’m partial to West System’s G Flex. Great stuff for many uses. Not familiar with Eddyline’s type of plastic, but G Flex is one of the very few things that will adhere reliably to poly. Be sure to read their website for prep directions & follow them religiously.

failing seats
I hate the Eddyline seat for comfort. Hard plastic and I have heard of few to many failing sadly. We have a Journey Eddy. I want to rip the seat out of it and replace it. Looks like a PITA to unglue it.

It’s very easy to

– Last Updated: Sep-19-16 11:27 AM EST –

remove the sliding seat from an Eddyline. All you have to do is first unscrew the back band knob so that it's not connected to the seat, then unscrew the adjustment knob at the font, push the seat up and over the bolt, angle it, and pull it out. Goes back in just as easily.

I replaced my seat pad with the newer Infinity pad which has thigh supports and find it quite comfortable. Also added a bit of padding around the tailbone area to alleviate a pressure spot.

Think it would work on this?

– Last Updated: Sep-19-16 11:37 AM EST –

@Seadddict:

http://i.imgur.com/NFHpVys.jpg

Warranty?
Is the kayak under warranty?

I had a 3 year old Current Designs composite boat on which a seat bracket came loose from the bottom inside of the hull. I had bought it at a very good price as an end of season close out with a few scratches on it but it was under full warranty. I could probably have epoxied the bracket back into place inside 15 minutes but I called CD and they offered me a brand new kayak via my local dealer. The dealer actually had the same model in stock (in a color I liked better) so I just went in and swapped my old boat for a new one.

Oh yes.

– Last Updated: Sep-19-16 2:01 PM EST –

Three year warranty so that won't be a problem. Bought the boat new October 2014. I have a hunch Eddyline would cover it even it was beyond three years.

Spoke with Alex of Eddyline. Seat pan being shipped today. He had said if they didn't have one in stock to fit my boat, they'd make one. Can't beat that for customer service.

Rookie -
Sorry for the delay in answering, but it looks like your problem was solved by Eddyline. Good for them. Regarding G Flex for future reference, the thickened version works well if gluing something where you need to control running. The regular thinner version works if you need it to penetrate a crack or to wet out a patch of glass to reinforce a repair.

Thanks, Seadddict
While the replacement seat pan will be here Thursday, will still try fixing the cracked one using G Flex.

Would I apply it on the outside or inside? Am guessing the outside. Also, can it be applied over the Gorilla tape or should I remove the tape?

Your help is most appreciated.

mount
I wanted to probably replace the entire seat mount also. Would like to put in a Current Designs seat. Will have to uncover and look closely.

remove the tape
I have used Gflex on a number of projects. The thicken to put a protective edge around a GP string made me. I would use it to repair the splinter in your Lumpy too, but the thin version if the crack is tight between the splinter and paddle. Wood and epoxy work well together.

When my Lumpy arrived,
it came with a letter from Bill which included info on maintenance and repair and in particular, splinters along the edge. The TiteBond III he recommended worked quite well and after a light sanding and coat of Tung oil, the paddle looks pretty good. It has a few dents, but that’s just paddle patina.

Thank you for the advice about the tape. I truly appreciate the great mentors here.

Will send you an email soon