Seat question

Thinking about installing a closed-cell foam seat in my Stellar15S. I have no complaints about the factory seat, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about the custom foam seats. Here’s the hitch. To accommodate the foam seat, I’ll have to cut off two side flanges that are part of the Stellar’s coaming, points of attachment for the seat. Once you remove those flanges, there’s no going back. Anyone out there with a similar experience?

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it…

If the current seat works for you, why not start with some padding rather than removal. See if it improves anything.

You sound like me … need to mess with the kayak in the off season. I’d go along with Grayhawk and Celia. Maybe you could do something else to distract yourself. Does your Stellar have a keel strip? That could be a worthy project. How about internal heel pads where your heels rest on the inner hull? Or a spare paddle holder? etc.

If you’re comfortable without padding, a slick seat is quite nice. I bought one kayak with a foam seat installed, and though comfortable to sit on, I found it maddening to feel so stuck in place on my seat. I replaced it with a fiberglass seat.
I really try to engage my legs, working up through my hips when paddling. The slicker the seat underneath of me, the better everything feels to me. This keeps the blood flowing too, so nothing goes numb or falls to sleep.
The other thing you have with the side flanges attached to a seat is added structural integrity.
Under this foam seat (a used boat) the stiffness of the hull was softer - easier to flex under my fingers with a little pressure. The flanges were still there though, and upon securing the fiberglass seat to the flanges with the bottom of the seat against the hull, that flex was eliminated.
In any case, now you have heard something besides good things about custom foam seats. For the majority of paddlers, a contouring and/or cushioning seat has the potential to offer a more comfortable experience. But it is not universally true, so it comes down to your personal paddling style and physicality.

I have no real experience with foam seats, but I have to wonder if they get a little soggy.

For me, a firm rigid (fiberglass) seat that is designed ergonomically is the answer. The boat that fits this criteria had me thinking that I would always need a pad for that seat. I was wrong about that. I did use a pad for maybe three, or four times and then I realized I didn’t need it.

My theory now is that with enough time in the saddle, your hinny will adapt to a lot of variables, but mine likes the glass best of all.

Thanks, CapeFear. Maybe it’s the difference between a wooden chair and a cushioned recliner. (Give me the chair, thank you.) I’ve spent a long day paddling the Stellar and had no complaints. Maybe better not to mess with something that’s working.

1 Like