Seaward Quest

I’d like to know more about this kayak. I went on a camping trip at the north end of Vancouver Isl. some years ago, one of the guys had a Quest, I couldn’t believe all the stuff he was carrying.

The big question is how does it handle in various wave/wind conditions?

Big boat
The Seaward Quest is a big boat and seems intended as an expedition kayak. There is also a HV version which has astoundingly high fore deck.

Been around for some time so there should be alot of experience to share.

very narrow beam
not much to brace against in the cockpit. a few like it, but it is a very tender boat, suited to big loads and an experienced paddler. personally, i would like a boat in this size/volume range myself, but am a bit infatuated with the KS Vivaine as the ideal boat in this category. i’ve paddled both, though not extensively, and the Viv was much more to my preference in fit, design, and features.

Tricky boat

– Last Updated: Mar-25-09 1:41 PM EST –

Granted even the regular one is way too much volume for me, so the HV version is way over the top. But very high front deck compared to the designs which I prefer no matter what your size, and yes it is not forgiving. Deep V hull maybe? Whatever, it wasn't exactly hard to get it to capsize. I met a friend with another friend who had just gotten a Quest HV to renew some rusty rolling and rescue skills with the brand-new owner of the Quest.

My biggest complaint though was, as above, you'd have to completely construct something under the deck to have great braces, unless the one I was in was unusual. The deck goes up to a peak in the middle and I was just sliding all over the place in there, couldn't get a grip to roll it. Two of us, both of whom were at that point generally able to roll a boat, failed.

This Seaward also had that funky seat option, where the seat is kinda loosely set in there and is designed to come out and serve as a paddle float. We found that it did work OK as a paddle float, but its value as a seat after that use was pretty questionable. First you had to figure out how to lift up to get it back under your butt while you were in the boat, doable on a quiet pond but might be shaky in conditions. Then you had the rest of the time sitting of a soggy seat (that slid around even worse when wet). I assume it works for some since they still offer it, but it wasn't winning hearts and minds that day.

This is an extremely popular boat with some guides, particularly in Canada, due to its gear hauling and speed. But I doubt it's as friendly to rusty skills or the tired end of a day as a lot of others out there.

Quest
I had one for a short time years back and used it for a 1000 kilometer trip on the east coast of Canada and it performed well.

It will handle a huge load of gear and it has good speed, even when loaded.

I’m 5’7", 160 lbs and, with some outfitting in the cockpit, it rolled quite easily for me, both empty and loaded. The only rolls I ever did were planned for the sake of practice only. Some like the seat, some don’t. I never used it as a paddle float, only as a seat and for hour after hour of paddling, the comfort was decent.

Very well built and bomber tough, stood up well to large surf landings in the Bay Of Fundy.

For anyone wanting a fast but very high volume touring kayak with a rudder, it is a good kayak. Try before you buy. Seeing as you are in Washington State, just take a trip up to Vancouver Island and go talk to Glenn at Seaward.

Cheers…Joe O’Blenis