Seaward rudder controls?

I see that the rudder control looks more what I think a skeg control is. I am use the Current Designs cord pull. I guess when you slide the Seaward control it is just pulling the cable? How does it feel easy to work? Thanks

I’m confused by the question and need some clarification, maybe there is some confusion between skegs and rudders?

The earlier Seawards had rudders controlled by sliding foot braces. Later, they used Sea-lect Designs accelerator style pedals which stayed fixed, but would rotate as you pushed with your foot, thereby changing the rudder angle. In either case, the rudder was deployed by pulling a rope and then could be retracted by pulling the rope in the other direction. I did have a Seaward Endeavour which had a wire-controlled skeg rather than a rudder.

The “Current Designs cord pull” rudder would more or less fit the Seaward rudder description above. There are also some Current Designs kayaks I am familiar with that have wire controlled skegs e.g. the Caribou.

Wire controlled skegs typically are located at the side of the coaming within easy reach. I am also familiar with the older rope skegs on NDK boats, whose control was located at the side of the deck just behind the coaming. The rope was released to deploy the skeg or tightened back up to retract it.

Somebody here should have better insight into this question.

Looking for how rudder is deployed on newer Seaward kayaks. Seems the up and down of rudder is same as I see on a skeg boat like a slider… Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsF6ogKXpDQ&t=184s

If you watch the video on the side @ 2:36 the rudder is deployed to me with what I normally see on a skeg boat a slider. thanks

Thanks PaddleDog52.

I hadn’t seen the new skeg deployment system. I’d be interested in seeing one in real life. Seaward’s old deployment system was already pretty easy to use, keeping the deployment lines separate - pull on one side with one hand to deploy the rudder and on the other side with the other hand to store the rudder. The Necky lines were both on the same side, allowing some confusion.

Seaward’s new system keeps the top of the deck cleaner without any rudder deployment lines. Presumably they have tested it to determine that it works well as the system ages and gets worn.

That’s a rudder deployment in the vid. My CD kayaks have a line which comes up to rear side of cockpit and loops back. You grab the lines one now has a ball and the other a cube to tell the difference for up and down. I never even remember which is up or down and just go by feel. Clam cleat holds line to hold rudder down but allows it some play if you hit bottom because 8" bungee is spliced in the line.

Wondering how Seaward does it all?

Seaward no longer uses that type of rudder deployment system. They went back to using rudder lines on both sides of their boats.

Dang it…I keep getting pulled into this. Why not a leeward rudder control?

@Hammahamma said:
Seaward no longer uses that type of rudder deployment system. They went back to using rudder lines on both sides of their boats.

Cables like CD kayaks back to each side of rudder to each pedal line which really is a loop to haul it up and down.

How does Seaward rudder go up and down.?

It’s also a loop with the closed end crossing from one side of the kayak to the other behind the coaming, It makes it easier to decide rudder up vs. rudder down.

Ok thanks. Does line go in a jam cleat like CD to lock it in position? Don’t see it in pictures. I’ll have to look again.

think I see a ball on each side which may be on a line here https://www.google.com/search?q=passat+g3+pictures&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi42dfv78HXAhUc8YMKHfIQAIoQsAQINQ&biw=1280&bih=633#imgrc=ei6Y6aHRyFCKRM:

I see this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsF6ogKXpDQ&t=78s

It’s now like a skeg control for the rudder at 3:20 on the video.

@PaddleDog52 said:
Ok thanks. Does line go in a jam cleat like CD to lock it in position? Don’t see it in pictures. I’ll have to look again.

It has been awhile since we had a Seaward here, but I don’t remember a jam cleat. If there was, I didn’t use it. We had one other Seaward, but it was a skeg boat (Endeavour).

Guess they just went to the new system. Thanks rsevenic.

This is an old video. Seaward went away from this design because they were having too many issues with it. They went back to one line on starboard side lowers rudder and the port rudder line brings the rudder back up to stored position. I just bought a Seward kayak last year. Pretty simple design but works.

works like rsevenic says: “It’s also a loop with the closed end crossing from one side of the kayak to the other behind the coaming, It makes it easier to decide rudder up vs. rudder down.”

@Hammahamma said:
works like rsevenic says: “It’s also a loop with the closed end crossing from one side of the kayak to the other behind the coaming, It makes it easier to decide rudder up vs. rudder down.”

I see the slide like a skeg in the video forward and back? Now they have regular moulded seat also not just a cushion.

Paddledog 52, This is an old video. They tried that particular design for rudder deployment but it didn’t work well. Too many issues with it so they went back to the old way of a loop design described by rsevenic. Trust me. I met the owner of Seaward, talked to him about this and bought a Seaward Tyee from him. His moulded seats have been installed since at least 2007 when I bought my Seaward Aurora.

Hammahamma thanks