Second kayak

Hi all. I’m 6’1” 220lbs and 51 years old, I had rotator cuff surgery January 30 and am healing very well. I should be at 90%+ in the next month. I live on a class 1(2) river and have played on it my whole life. The wife and I started kayaks two years ago with wilderness Pungos, 120 and a 125 for me. Although they perform good we have pushed them further then we should at high water levels with such a huge cockpit that can’t fit a proper skirt. So at this point I am looking at a Dagger Code LG. As most rivers around me are never above -3(3) and usually 1(2) with some long stretches between flowing water (1/2 mile + or- ). So how does a Code handle in low or no flow conditions? Will it keep up with the Pungo without much work? I like the Code for its playfulness but don’t want something that paddles like a beach ball either. I haven’t found one to demo yet and the closest I can get is a medium RMX which I think is probably going to be too much boat for me and my rivers. Any thoughts or guidance?

I’m 6’3" 205 and have been paddling a large Zen 3 for my first 2 years [I’m 71]. I don’t know anything about the Code but I’ve been happy with my Zen. Actually I was planning to move to the new Jackson Flow this season but I also tore my rotator cuff and have delayed that decision. Unfortunately, cuff repair surgery isn’t an option for me. Only PT or reverse shoulder replacement surgery.

Thanks for the reply Curtis. Sorry to hear about your shoulder. I hope you can fix it with PT, the recovery time from surgery is way longer than I expected. I’m still a little weak going out to my side and up like a jumping jack motion and could reach my back center belt loop a week ago but it’s making big jumps in progress every couple days. I had surgery Jan 30th.

None of the boats mentioned will come close to paddling like a Pungo 120 or 125.

I like my pungos. The 125 seems noticeably slower than the 120 but also I’m 70lbs heavier than the wife. Going through rocks you can’t miss your line as they won’t climb over anything and just get knocked to the side. The river I live on has a few rock dams that are a foot or two high with flow holes people have made in them. Last year the wife clipped an under water rock and kicked the front out of the flow hole and caused the kayak to bridge the gap. No big deal it’s just something that happens with displacement hulls. The canoe I currently have is an older design with high seats and rocks can kick the boat right out from under you. When you hit rapids with it it’s best to slide forward off the seats and paddle on your knees until you get to calm water. What’s going through my head is trying a creek/river boat and if I like it get one for me and let the wife try it a few times. If she likes it then get her one, sell the pungos and get a couple sea kayaks for the big water.