Second Swim of the Year

It’s late summer in southern New England, so if you are looking for natural flow whitewater, its time for a drive to Tville – Tarrifville Gorge on the Farmington River in CT. Its amazing that this short section of the river has run pretty much all year. I had my second swim of the year in the playhole – paddled in and immediately got spun around and filled up with water - over I went. No pictures of my swim, but a few other pictures here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/sets/72157673147685028

Given the record heat around here, it had been a good several weeks for swimming… Intentional or otherwise. :wink:

Within those holes that spin us,
is found some thoughts to pin us,
corkboard mementos
soddenly to dry,
so laugh at failures
hope there shan’t die,
and should the blackness
take in our light,
to other worlds
let’s flow a flight,
up from such depths
by aqueous assist,
non-acquiescent
of waters’ persist.

Learnin’ and turnin’ the riparian dawn,
an E-squared factor keeps paddlin’ on.

@sing said:
Given the record heat around here, it had been a good several weeks for swimming… Intentional or otherwise. :wink:

I was up in ME this weekend (not paddling) and it was 45 degrees yesterday morning. Its 50 degrees this morning in RI. Hope summer is not over yet.

@canoeswithduckheads said:
Learnin’ and turnin’ the riparian dawn,
an E-squared factor keeps paddlin’ on.

Thanks Tom - another great one!

@eckilson said:

@sing said:

I was up in ME this weekend (not paddling) and it was 45 degrees yesterday morning. Its 50 degrees this morning in RI. Hope summer is not over yet.

Gordon remnants are set to give you some more whitewater. Looks like Florence may as well into next weekend. Felt like fall paddling this past weekend. Hot weather is coming back after today. Frankly, I much prefer the cooler weather than hot.

sing

@sing said:
Gordon remnants are set to give you some more whitewater. Looks like Florence may as well into next weekend.

Not much from Gordon around here. Florence is definitely going to dump some rain, but it doesn’t look like it will come anywhere near the northeast for a while.

@eckilson said:

@sing said:
Gordon remnants are set to give you some more whitewater. Looks like Florence may as well into next weekend.

Not much from Gordon around here. Florence is definitely going to dump some rain, but it doesn’t look like it will come anywhere near the northeast for a while.

I got soaked on my ride home yesterday. It rain steadily all night into this morning. Had mist on the ride in this AM and then the rest of Gordon’s wetness went into the Atlantic.

Florence is looking to SOCK IT to the SE Atlantic only. The blocking high just southeast of us is going to preclude even her moisture from reaching us on the NE coast. Wish she would stay a fish storm. Obviously much better for low lying coastline folks but also better as longer term swell generator if she just stays out there and continue churning up the water.

sing