Securing 2 kayaks on a beach?

Greetings All,

When going hiking/exploring an area you just kayaked to - how do you usually secure your kayak?

There is an island near me (Deerfield Beach Island Park) that I’d like to kayak to and check out (it is only accessible by ferry & 6 available boat slips…and the shore where you can pull your kayak up on to). However I am paranoid of getting our kayaks getting jacked while walking around the island.

I was thinking we could use the car club anti-theft bar( the one that you put on your steering wheel) to kinda secure the cockpit, then lock the 2 kayaks together by the clubs (cockpits facing each other), then somehow securing them to one of those beach screws…then taking the paddles with us…

Now I that I wrote it all down…it seems like alot of work…any other alternatives out there?

Thanks,

Bob

I would think
that something like a bike or kayak cable locking the two together would stop a casual theft or joyride by someone from another culture who thinks a kayak left on a beach is there for their amusement.

cable locks
I have several of those plastic jacketed coiled steel cable locks that I have used to secure my kayaks. You often need to connect two together to wrap around whatever you are connecting to as well as under the seat support of the kayak (usually the only place you can run the cable through.) YOu might need 3 or 4 to connect both boats and secure them to something sturdy like a dock component or fence post. They are cheap – I’ve bought sets of 3 of them for under $20 at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=202260751&storeId=10051&langId=-1&cata

Necessary to leave them on the beach?
Does this island have no trees? If possible, surely it would be easier to lock them to a tree, or maybe there’s something man-made you can run a cable through (bike rack, street sign).

Trees
Just for a heads up, locking things to trees isn’t always effective since, unless they are large, they can easily be cut down and the locked item lifted off the stump. This happened to my brother’s bike at the post office. The only amusing side of this was that the FBI investigated because it was a federal tree. Go figure.

Rick

steel mesh
Though it might be a little heavy to carry, I have wondered about using those expanded steel mesh “slipcovers” that are sold for trekkers to secure their backpacks. Seems you could cable lock it around a cockpit as well as secure it to an imoveable object, preventing pilferers from getting into the cockpit anyway.

Maybe a design and marketing idea I can pursue when I retire (soon.)