Securing additional canoe paddle

Probably been covered in a previous thread, but I am unable to locate it…

Looking for others suggestions and ideas for securing extra paddle(s) in my canoe. My paddles get used and rotated frequently on my river day trips, so I would like them to be quickly accessible underway. It is not just an emergency carry along spare. For the most part, I tend to get by just fine having the second paddle lay loose in the boat, and many times I secure the grip end to a thwart with a dealy-bob or velcro. A steep take-out, put-in, or carryover is where things start flopping around and getting caught.

Any slick remedies for securing the blade end or such? Am also not crazy about securing tons of d-rings and the like to the black gold hull interior, so simpler the better.

from another website
sorry guys I know you dont like that.

http://www.solotripping.com/community/showthread.php?2664-Paddle-keepers&highlight=paddle+holder

http://www.solotripping.com/community/showthread.php?2682-Spare-paddle-wrangling&highlight=paddle+holder

Thanks for the link
Looks like some good ideas that I’ll be checking out.

minicell holster
If you don’t mind gluing something to the inside of your hull, I have seen some paddlers shape a “holster” for a paddle blade out of minicell foam and secure it to the inner side of the hull. The shaft near the grip can then be secured to a thwart with the double velcro strap things, which are quickly released.

Shove it under a pack or air bag
I’ve alway had good luck with this method and they don’t come out even if I wrap the boat or flood it. Of course the packs or air bags have to be tied in, but they always are. Right?

You already have the easiest system
I don’t attach paddles unless I’m in whitewater.

For carrying, you can just jam the grip under the deck of a Wildfire and tie/dealy the blade to a thwart – or to the two thwarts.

Keep on KISSing.

Haha
I see Kim’s link shows a spare paddle in ama clips on my va’a.

Well, there’s no bottom on that craft to use my preferred gravity method.

check the zre web site
for their paddle clips.

What I sometimes do:

– Last Updated: May-29-10 10:02 PM EST –

No Drilling. No Gluing.

I have a couple of "giant twist ties" that I got at a big-box hardware store, but I haven't seen them sold in the last few years - apparently a good idea that went bust. The giant twist tie is just a heavy copper wire inside a thick-walled flexible tube made of closed-cell foam, so plastic-insulated house wiring would work in a pinch, though its surface would not be nearly as "grippy".

I have one end of the "giant twist tie" twisted around the thwart in front of me. I lay a paddle in the boat so that the blade is up in the bow and the handle is on the thwart right alongside the twist tie, and wrap the free end of the twist tie just once around the handle. That's much more secure than it sounds like it would be, but I can finish that with another loop back around the thwart for bomb-proof anchorage (just that one extra loop holds the paddle so tight you can lift the boat by grabbing the paddle handle and it won't loosen).

Now, here's the neat thing about this method. When switching paddles (due to sudden shallow water, etc.), I simply lay my current paddle right alongside the one that's currently in storage, but on the opposite side of where the twist tie wraps around the thwart. Now I just unwrap the loop that's around the other paddle and in the same motion as unwrapping, I wrap it around the other in a mirror image of the motion that had originally tied down the other paddle. Switching which paddle is secured and which is free takes about 2 seconds with just one hand, or about four seconds if you include the extra loop back around the thwart each time. In just a moment and with one hand, you can alternate which of the two paddles is secure and which one is free, and you can't do that with any bungie system (and it's stronger).

When set up for white water, this method is combined with a second "giant twist tie" on the front carry handle, which forms a permanent loop into which the paddle blade gets inserted. That adds a couple of seconds to the securing/unsecuring process, but it's faster than trying to jam the blade under the bag tie-downs prior to throwing a loop around the handle.

In flat water, my spare paddle usually just lays in the boat, but as you pointed out, it's really handy to have the paddles anchored when dragging the boat up or down steep embankments or through deadfalls.

I want more of those giant twist ties.
I’m down to just 1. I bought mine at Menard’s about 3 or 4 years ago and haven’t seen any since.

now called Flexi Ties

Don’t think so

– Last Updated: May-30-10 12:37 PM EST –

That's a trademarked name for a little thingy for supporting garden plants. If you come up with the actual name of the "giant twist tie" that I and Yanoer are talking about, I'd sure like to know so I can get more, and it sounds like he would too.

bungee
I use a loop of bungee with a “ball” secured at the ends. Wrap it around the thwarts and spare paddle, I just loeave them on the thwarts so they’re al;ways there.

Yeah, that’s what I do. The handle
ends up right next to me, so if a paddle gator gloms my primary paddle, I can pull the other one out ot the float bag laces immediately.

J&J canoe
Sells foam thingy and paddle clips. I did the seventy miler in a shallow water year where I was swapping out paddles every few minutes depending on whether I using the paddle to paddle or as a pole to push against the shallows. Efficient and fast.

Lowes or Home Depot

– Last Updated: May-31-10 12:13 AM EST –

I can't remember if it was Lowes or Home Depot, but I saw those giant spongy twist tie thingies just a few weeks ago. I have two red ones that I've never used. I think I'll give this a try.

Thanks for all of the ideas…
Think will start with trying to procure a couple of the lage foam twist tie things, see how that works and then go from there.

Grip Twist
I just did a little search and discovered that the giant twist tie thingies are called Grip Twist. Lots of internet sources (including Amazon.)

Lowes
I was at Lowes today. They have the Grip Twists in several colors.

Thanks. I’ll try our local Lowe’s.