Securing water bottle to deck

Thanks to Mike Henebry for great video on launching a kayak from a dock.

How did you attach a water bottle to the deck of a sea kayak.

There are deck bags specifically for tha
purpose that also hold other necessities.

options
1. tuck it under deck lines.

2. clip it to deck lines (you can get a water bottle with carabiner)

3. Get a camelbak and stow it on deck or belowboard, or on the back of your PFD. Some PFDs have a pocket in the back for this. If you stow it belowboard there are options for the tube routing, one of which is to run it inside the spray skirt. But if you’re not wearing a spray skirt, you’re probably in conditions that allow you to simply place a bottle under the deck bungees. You ca

under bungees
In the video, it looks like the bottle is just being held down by the deck bungees on the boat.

a clean deck and NO leashes
for sea kayaking a clean deck is preferable if there is any chance of needing to perform a rescue. T-rescue, cowboy or rear deck carry all require a clean deck. I use a hydration bladder in the rear pouch of my PFD.

Anything tucked under the bungees will be lost if a wave comes over the deck.

For calm conditions with no waves over the deck, tuck it under the bungees clipped on with a carabiner. An aluminum biner will corrode in saltwater and seize up. Use a stainless one meant for sailing.

DON’T clip a bunch of things on to your deck or inside your cockpit with ‘safety’ leashes.

I’ve seen ‘safety’ leashes entangle their owner several times and they can be deadly if they keep you from exiting your boat. In 25 years, the only time I’ve ever used my PFD knife in a rescue was to cut someone free from a safety leash while they were being dragged through the surf by the leg.

:slight_smile:
There is (at least one) water bottle and set of sunglasses at the bottom of Lake Superior that can vouch for your statement!

I’m with you - no deck bags, no bottles, the only thing on my deck is a spare paddle.

try

https://picasaweb.google.com/102234459580640424681/CANHOLDER#5941446659607036674

Just had a thread on that
Look for a flat bottle like a pint of whiskey for under the deck bungees seemed to be a popular idea

They have bottle huggies with attached carabiners, I picked up some carabiners with an attached rubber ring for going around the neck of a bottle.

I have some insulated bags on a sling shaped to hold sports bottles that can be worn around the neck.

Second the advice on keeping tethers to a minimum. I used to keep a quart sized thermos of ice water behind my seat. A carabiner around the handle tied off to the back of the seat. I could take a Fri k without unhooking it then drop it back behind me.

Trying to exit I could not get my butt more than 8 inches above the seat. I would have been in real trouble if I hadn’t been in only 6" of water. I laid down next to the boat and unzipped my PFD and found the line had fallen over a sliding buckle on an adjustment strap on my PFD.

I don’t tether anything unless loosing it would put me in a dangerous situation worse than the possibility of becoming entangled in a capsized boat.

great story
reminds me of when I tipped over on my bike, wedged against my car, with my shoes still clipped into the pedals.

1/8th" shock cord
with a YIELD threshold like Lockite ?

2 strong pulls n the cord would seperate.

The cords here from REI and Seattle Fabrics do not separate only laugh at me.

Is there a connector rig that would separate ?

Agree
I have a water bottle tethered with very thin (breakable) cord with a Scotty clip at the end. The clip is flimsy enough that a moderate tug will set it free.

caribiner
hooked to a clip loop in the water bottle. Caribiner is clipped to the rigging near the cockpit, and the bottle is tucked under the rigging forward of that.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-Triton-Flip-Top-Water-Bottle-25.36-fl-oz-Silicone-Autumn-BWT/35941630

I like the ones that have the oz marked on the side to use as a measure for cooking at camp.You have to unhook it every time you want a drink, but its not a big deal. Better the aggravation than dehydration.

Longer trips I put the caribiner on a hydration bladder and connect it the same way with the drinking end clipped to the rigging.

Keep it low, and as centered as possible. Works fine.