Seda Ikkuma - anyone tried one?

WOW…just got back from a Mfg./
dealer Demo Day on Lake Natoma. I gotta say, as one who looks at the details of workmanship (ok, probably anal about it), the SEDA’s are top notch all the way. I paddled the Vida…love at first paddle for a 14’ river/lake yak. This boat MOVES…just a beautiful craft. I then paddles the Ikuma (sp?) and again…fast, agile, and talk about glide…humm…decisions, decisions. The SEDA staff on hand was knowledgeable, the young lady I spoke to was a delight and worked well answering questions and directing questions she could not answer…all in all, a beautiful, very busy paddle day at Lake Natoma. I second Eric’s opinion of a beautifully designed/manufactured kayak.

rough water
I have had my Ikkuma in moderately rough water; ocean swell to 5 ft, 20 kts wind, some white caps. It is very neutral in the wind and easy to control. The skeg works very well in following conditions. Stability is extremely comfortable. My boat weighs only 40 lbs in carbon/kevlar and it flexes a bit too much in big bumps in the water. If I were to order again, I would specify, say 45 lbs, and ask for a stiffer hull.

rough water

– Last Updated: Jun-23-08 1:38 PM EST –

What originally sold me on the Ikkuma 17 was that in addition to all of the regular handling attributes one looks for, (edging, maneuverability, tracking etc) I could do an easy solo cowboy re-entry in bumpy water. This boat has both outstanding initial and secondary stability. Great rough water design.

Flexy Hull
I concur with gjf12. If I known it was an option, I would opt for the few extra pounds to get a stiffer hull. My boat is all fiberglass - weight was never as much of a concern as the overall longevity and durability of the boat. The Ikkuma design is a winner for me - I hope to have it last me for many years.

Ikkuma 15
I tested this boat last night and feel in love with it as it fits me perfectly. I am going back tonight to try it again, seriously considering buying. This is my second year of yaking and I find most boats are so big around me that there is just to much room. I have not totally figured out the skeg yet but this will come with time. I liked the turns, the glide, and the comfort levels.