Seda Ikkuma --CD Caribou

These seem to be two hard chined boats that fit medium to larger sized paddlers well. No not buying, but curious if people who are familiar with them have thoughts on where their strong points are, how are they similar and how are they different.

Caribou
I’ve paddled a CD Caribou for just one season and the boat has been eveything I hoped it would be. It is not what I would call a fast boat but it feels quick and lively. Anyway, I paddle it at an average speed of 4.2mph without working too hard which is fine with me. It does tend to weathercock a bit in quartering winds but a little bit of skeg takes care of that. OTOH, putting the skeg full down seems to take away some of that liveliness that I mentioned. The Bou carves a turn very gracefully with just a moderate lean. I paddle a lot on Branegat Bay [NJ] which is shallow and prone to steep chop when the wind picks up from the south. The Bou enjoys these conditions; next to the Mariner Coaster that I once owned, it is the best wind-wave surfing boat I’ve ever paddled. I like hard-chined boats and my previous kayak was an Arctic Hawk. The Hawk was a good boat but twitchy in following seas with a light load/paddler. IMO, the Caribou is a better all-around boat. John

Caribou…
I had one… sold it and think that was a mistake at the time although I still get to paddle it on occasion.

I would say the the seating arrangement is more comfortable for smaller to mid size paddlers. It has less hip room than my Nordlow but more thigh room so it depends on how you are built. I know many smaller paddlers that just love the fit and some larger paddlers that hate the fit.

It’s very smooth riding with a lot of secondary and low windage. At 60yo I was able to average 5.0 mph for 13 miles, not a flat water racer but no slouch.

One of CDs better designs.

wind
I don’t own either but have demo’d both in strong wind and found the Ikkuma much easier to control in a cross wind.

had a CD Caribou for 10 years
but due to an injury it is not comfortable for me anymore.

No skeg. Easy to control with a five liter bag of water in the stern. Thats my cheap Almaden skeg.

Yes it would weathercock but not much more than others.

Pure Joy to roll. Ecstasy with a GP.

Don’t Know the Ikkuma

– Last Updated: Jan-09-08 4:30 AM EST –

but the 'Bou is a great kayak.

Why I sold mine? To purchase an NDK Explorer.

Hmmm...

I do want a 'Lar 'Bou.

What I liked about the Caribou is the skeg would easily correct any problems with quartering winds from the stern/following seas.

Anyone think the NDK Explorer doesn't respond well to its skeg????

Glenn

I have paddled both

– Last Updated: Jan-09-08 5:51 PM EST –

I have had the pleasure to paddle both the Caribou and the Ikkuma extensively. Both are excellent boats. Here is what I have to say about them:

1)Both handle very similarly - very little learning curve needed to paddle these boats. Excellent initial stability, excellent secondary.

2)The Ikkuma offers 2 seat options - the small seat is snug with lower thigh bracing(which I preferred) - the spec says it is suitable for persons 5'2" to 5'9". I'm 5'10". The larger seat feels similar to the Caribou as far as roominess.

3)Caribou has no day hatch, while the Ikkuma does.

4)I felt that the Ikkuma was more maneuverable.

5)Both felt equal in speed in my opinion.

6)Ikkuma was designed as a mid-sized boat for paddlers 140-210 lbs, yet still large enough for multi-day excursions. I think the Caribou is better suited for a larger person of 5'9" to 6'+.

7)Ikkuma's carbon fiber surf skeg is far superior to the Caribou's.

8)Both roll well. I could not say if one rolls better than the other.

9)Both are hard-chined 'modified Greenland'-style boats. The Caribou has a deeper V-shaped hull. The Ikkuma has a full chine with a shallower V-hull. Not sure what benefit that offers for either... like I said, initial stability in both were very similar.

Both a excellent boats and I think one could not go wrong with either. I went with the Seda Ikkuma for the added maneuverability. I also preferred the more modern decking and kajak hatch covers.