Seda Ikkuma

Anyone paddled the new Seda Ikkuma 17? If, so what do you think?

I think it’s not made in the USA

Someone just posted the first review
Check the Product Review section.

April Sea Kayaker
The April issue of Sea Kayaker magazine has a review of the Ikkuma.

The tech specs are available online at: http://www.seakayakermag.com/PDFs/2007/April07Ikkuma17.pdf

looking for comments right here
I would prefer to read comments here rather than in the product review section or in a magazine review ; this forum seems pretty candid, and kayak reviews elsewhere all sound pretty much the same. People here are generally unafraid to criticize.

bruce means this candid Pnetter review
http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/showReviews.html?prod=1980

I Sold SEDAs for Years

– Last Updated: Apr-10-07 5:06 AM EST –

They were always top-quality lay-ups, many good hulls to select from, including the 14-foot Vagabond (now called the Veda), a SERIOUSLY GREAT all-around kayak I'd take almost anywhere; the FAST Impulse and Gliders; the family-friendly and fairly fast Swift.

The Ikkuma looks like a GREAT British-type boat choice. Don't worry about the quality of the lay-up, they've got this down.

I appreciate the Mexico v. USA banter, but it belongs in "Bicker & Banter" forum. Remember that it was US manufacturers who lobbied for NAFTA...

Glenn

Speaking of Seda Glider.

– Last Updated: Apr-10-07 6:49 AM EST –

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=seda+kayak&category0=

I bought two yaks from this upstate NY retailer, shipped to my driveway, with narry an issue. He's got some decent Sedas. Just a thought for original poster.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=seda+kayak&category0=

Sorry, you gotta cut and paste the address.

I basically agree with you, Wildwater
about the B&B comment. The problem is, PeterBr asked what I (and you, and anyone) thought about the Seda Ikkuma, and that’s what I thought. I guess the alternative is to not answer at all. But, to put it in context, I saw the Ikkuma on the showroom floor at Portland Kayak Co., liked it, found out it was made in Mexico, and lost all interest. The loss of American jobs means that much to me. But then imagine my surprise to learn from Eric_Nyre that Seda has been in Mexico all along! Very glad to learn that. That makes a difference. I can revisit the boat again. My first impression was that the Ikkuma would be a good expedition boat or a good boat for the heavier paddler. But, for said reasons, have not paddled the boat yet myself.

Michigan Feels Your Pain
Northern Ohio/Indiana/and most of Michigan have been decimated by people driving foreign crap and by our own manufacturers screwing the workers, period.

I purchased my 2004 Ford truck for $14,000 and a loaded 2006 Impala at 0% interest for $21,000. Very good price points.

It’s time for an American revolution.

Oops, this belongs on the B&B page…sorry.

Glenn

It might be nice to find someone
who has demoed the Ikuma besides the reviewer who compared it to a “Pachena” and other non-British styled boats. When someone states they liked it because it had more stability than the Gulfstream (23 inch beam) and better turning than the Pachena, then I would think twice before coming to any conclusions.

It would be nice to hear one compared to the various “Nigel-boats” not to mention other British or Greenland-style craft.

Oh - and I also feel the pain of those in the auto industry in the midwest - I have relatives there. But, heap some o’ dat blame on the good old greedy UNIONS…

Scott

Curious
The often told story on the Pintail is that it is an Anas Acuta that had it’s chines softened. Is this a Tempest like hull that has had its’ chines hardened?

Seda Manufacuring Process

– Last Updated: Dec-20-07 12:45 PM EST –

I recently ordered a Seda Ikkuma 17 and was also unaware that they were manufactured in Mexico. I haven't received it, so I can't provide a viable review on the kayak - only that I enjoyed enough to purchase one.

With regards to their production in Mexico, I think people will be surprised to hear that most composite boats are made in CHINA! This includes many of the respectable British boat manufacturers. I have attached a response from Seda regarding their manufacturing processes that summarizes the situation...

"As for boat builds, all Ikkumas are constructed using a process called vacuum infusion which is state of the art these days in composite work. The glasswork/gelcoat is done at our factory in Mexico while the final assembly (decks, seats, stickers, Q&A) are done at our facility in San Diego. We've actually operated cross-border like this for over 25 years and we've never hidden that. You might be surprised to learn that most other composite kayaks are actually made in China these days such as all Epic, all Necky composites, some Current Designs composites, Kayak Pro, Point 65, P&H (Taiwan), and the list goes on. We feel we have a distinct advantage in that our process utilizes some US labor (our employees plus local suppliers) in a cost competitive environment plus the Mexican folks are our employees rather than a sub-contract operation so we are able to maintain strict control over quality."

I hope this sheds some light on things. While it is sad that we need to go overseas for affordable labor, it is a problem that is systemic for the entire industry and not just one manufacturer.

Sign of the times, folks.