Seda's new Greenland Ikkuma 17 Kayak?

-- Last Updated: Jul-18-06 1:37 PM EST --

Just curious if anyone has seen or tried this new modified Greenland style hull from Seda.

http://www.sedakayak.com/

If really 40 lbs.
I would be very interested in trying one…

Skeg and dayhatch
Are options so they must be weighing a real strip down boat to achieve these weights. Or an extremely light layup?

reminds me of
a Nordkapp Jubilee with the small round Valley hatch up front…but i assure you my Jubilee weighs nowhere close to 40 pounds!!! add 20 and it would be close :frowning:

Weight is gonna be pretty close
Not sure when it was weighed but the new SEDA owners were tinkering with infusion last time I was down there. I had my hands on the new boat ( hull only ) and it was pretty light.

Nice…
looks like a playful hull. 11.5" depth is pretty good.

Now, let’s shrink one down to 16.5"x19-20" with 9-10" depth! :}

sing

Looks like just another…

– Last Updated: Jul-18-06 8:26 AM EST –

...oversize boat with the "Greenland" description slapped on it. I mean really, 17' x 22" is about as close to a "standard" sea kayak as you can get. The weight makes it interesting, but I don't see where it breaks any new ground anywhere else. That doesn't make it a bad boat, just uninspiring.

It looks like a lot of other kayaks
it’s funny how i thought the tempest looked like a rip off of an NDK explorer, now this kayak looks like a rip off of the tempest.

Hmmm Ok whatever.

Oversize/Greenland???
It would be nice for those of us in the over 200 lbs club had an exceptable label for a Greenland inspired design. Seda does say "modified Greenland design in thier promo. While I see and agree with your point, it is frustrating in that I dought there where or are very many Inuit paddlers over 200 lbs / 6 feet tall. It would be interesting for an engineer/designer to build a boat that levels the playing feel. Even the SOF books seem to go more by arm span etc. than center of mass. Would you guys agree that if you take two paddlers of limited ability… one wieghing 230 and one wieghing 165, put them both in a 20 inch beamed Greenland kayak and say that is the acid test? I am just wondering if other big guys ponder this as well. I have read that Al from Betsie Bay is a big guy and one his Greenland designs has a 22 inch beam. Look forward to hearing others thoughts on this.

Yep
Looks like an Explorer with an oval rear hatch to me :slight_smile:

Maybe, but a whole lot lighter…

Hey Portabloak…
Good to see you again!

As you know, we are in similar weight/size categories. Hopefully I will have ‘left’ this category by the Fall…will see. Though, it is a challenge to find the ‘right’ boat for a larger guy. Have you checked out Impex’s Force 4 or 5? The OI with a tad higher foredeck would be great. Why not build a modified OI. Jay Babina will help with the modifications.

But, yup it surely is a challenge. I have dealt with this by building my own SOF. Am painting it and rigging it this week…hope to get out this weekend.

I used Brian’s masik construction suggestions and built a boat that fits me like the proverbial comfortable glove. It is almost 17’long, 10" at the masik and 7" at the isserfik. I built it as a rolling boat. I have liked building the sof so much more than the Night Heron that I will likely build another SOF…perhaps more of a touring greenland design or possibly a badairka…will see. You are far more talented a carpenter than I am…think about building one!

Let’s catch up offline and meet to do some paddling in the Sound!

Bob

Do you know of any boat
heavier then an Explorer?

You need just one letter…
Q! I demoed the Valley Q-boat and found it surprisingly stable (on a somewhat breezy, but calm ocean), comfortable and fast. I believe it’s 18’X 21". I am 6’2" X 230lbs. Give it a try.

I was thinking same

– Last Updated: Jul-18-06 10:43 PM EST –

Uninspired - but maybe a good all arounder. Something else to try, not buy.

Now if it was 19' x 19" x 9.5-10.5" deep (6-7" rear), a little more V and rocker (?), with a sister about 17x17, and also a rolling fanatic cousin about 17' x 19" with flatter hull and even lower decks... Trifecta! But those would probably have a very small market that's already largely served by self builders.

I designed my SOF for over 200 lb. …
… and it’s max beam is under 19". It’s a close fit for me, but not tight or hard to enter, not restrictive to paddling motions.

22" beam is huge. Fine for a “Sea Kayak”, particularly one for camping/expedition use (everyone buys - few use). Don’t confuse “Greenland style” marketing, which usually only means hard chines, with Greenland performance.

Wider hulls can be found in Greenland (much variation) but typically smaller Greenlanders you refer to use qajaq narrower (and smaller overall) than mine. Some 17" and below. There are specimens below 15". At 18 7/8" I consider mine to already be scaled up for a Westerner.

Greenland hulls are designed for hunting/day paddling with minimal gear (including minimal qajaq). Being better fitting (needing some adaptation and different position coming from frog leg/large knee bend position) and lower volume they perform quite differently than commercial hulls. Much more responsive.

A qajaq is more like putting on a prosthetic swimming aid than sitting in a boat.

Making them wider/deeper can totally change them into something quite different. Many build wider SOF like this. That’s fine if it’s a first qajaq and the builder is being conservative - or the intent is to simulate commercial hulls - but that’s what you get.

lol, I understand completely…
I’m not sure why, but I also look at that boat and see a Tempest. I think it may have to do with the chines and how they appear in relation to the flair of the bow and stern. The Explorer always looks “softer” from my uneducated eye.

it should
Stewart (the designer) worked for Confluence while we were working on the original Tempest. he originally designed the boat for Liquid Logic but they never made it past proto. it has wayyyy harder chines but the deck is nearly identical. I paddled it some when it was a LL proto.

keith, now you don’think the tempest is a rip-off of the Explorer??? I told you back then and I tell you now, it ain’t…:slight_smile:

steve

test
I briefly test paddled the Ikkuma on flat protected water with 15 kt winds. It is very different from either the Explorer or the Tempest. Very stable, extremely responsive to leans, no weathercocking at all in 15 kt winds. (There was no skeg on this particular boat.) It did not feel fast, but that is subjective. It was light. The seat was extremely comfortable with the superb NSI backband held at a fixed height by flexible plastic straps.

gjf12
How did it compare with the Tempest in volume? Wondering if this boat sits lower in the water…