Seeking a new Kayak

Forgive me if there are already posts addressing this question, but the overwhelming sea of information has made it difficult for me to find the more exact answers I am looking for.

I am wanting to upgrade to a new kayak. This past summer I purchased my first kayak, a used Wilderness Systems Cape Lookout 145, and though it has served me well in getting out on the water and introducing me to the sport, I am looking for something sleeker and more comfortable that will also allow me to develop more skills. I realize I do not really like the rudder system on the WS (it feels unstable and mushy on my feet and susceptible to damage). I also don’t like the plasticky feeling of the boat and the seat is very uncomfortable for me despite others loving it. Though I don’t really know many details, I’d like to have a more form-fitted feel, and I am attracted to the British designed boats, definitely a skeg over a rudder, and prefer a composite or carbonlite, preferably under 58lbs.

I am a 45 M, 5’10”, 145lbs with long legs and arms and a short torso. The main places I paddle are on large lakes and the coastal waters of Connecticut. I have not yet learned how to roll, but plan on setting up some lessons for developing skills. At this point I don’t have a lot of interest in conquering big surf or extended multi-day excursions, but I want something that I can spend a long day (and maybe an occasional 1-2 night trip) going fast and feeling comfortable in the sea or a lake while developing a variety of skills and confidence in a good boat.

I would like to spend no more than $1000 if possible on a used kayak, and have seen online a few that catch my eye: an old Formula Diamante, Eddyline Nighthawk, some oId Impex and P&H models, and recently a used Rockpool ALAW Bach TCC. The Rockpool looks amazing and is just outside my budget but I would make it work if this is something that would be appropriate for me given my lack of experience but yearning to grow into a good boat…

Any help or recommendation would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

At 145 you should be looking for low volume boats. I think both the Diamante and the Alaw are going to be too big for you. But others will come along who know more than I do. Anyhow you are on the right track! When lessons are available they will be of great help to you, and also a lot of fun.

1 Like

CD Solstice GTS, I’m 5’6", 150 lbs (slightly older male). The Solstice GTS fits me like a glove. Should be similar for you.

2 Likes

At your size, take a look at the NDK Pilgrim (or maybe Pilgrim Expedition) - if you can find one used.

2 Likes

There are lots of boats that would potentially suit you. The best thing is to compile a list of candidates - you can do a search in here for low volume boats, or boats for smaller paddlers. Then when you see one for sale in your price range you can be ready to jump on it. If the seller lives near water they’ll often allow you to give it a test paddle; if not at least sit in it (take pool noodles along to lift the boat while you do this) and make sure it feels comfortable. Also keep in mind that you may well need (or want) to buy and resell a few times to get to the right boat.

Regarding the NDK Pilgrim I’ve yet to see one for sale anywhere near the OP’s (or my) price range. I’d love to try out that boat.

1 Like

If your feet are not small enough, then with your long legs the low volume kayaks may scrunch your feet too much. When trying a kayak, be sure to wear the water shoes you would actually wear when kayaking.

1 Like

My second favorite boat is a Chesapeake 17 I bought used. Those or the pygmy boats are great boats. The Chesapeake is hard chined, about 24" wide so good primary stability, lightish, fun to paddle and can actually carry quite a bit. I believe the kits are a bot over $1,000 and many hours of work but I see them used all the time.

1 Like

Maybe the Avocet RM or the Tempest 165 might be low-volume with enough foot space.

2 Likes

With a short torso, pay attention to the deck height. Most low volume boats have a corresponding lower deck, but not all. You should live in a good area to try out different models. You’re on the right track by trying to whittle-down the candidates, but there is no replacement for trying them out.

3 Likes

I agree, being long legged and short-waisted you need to look at hull depth. I have that kind of proportions too (I am 5’ 5" overall but have the leg length of someone 5’ 8" and the upper body of somebody 5’ 2".) For this reason I fit best in Greenland style hulls with high volume bows and low volume sterns, like this (not me in the photo, that’s a 5’ 4" friend I loaned it to – she’s in my Venture Easky 15 LV, a British boat no longer sold in the US.)

Incidentally, my 5’ 11", 165 pound brother with a 32" inseam fits in that Easky LV quite well. No way to predict fit without sitting in any given boat.

4 Likes

Hi, I am selling a P7H Sirius Medium and live in Freehold NJ. It is above your requested price range but may ne worth a look. I have it advertised on this site if you interested in looking.
Jim

1 Like

Thank you! I will message you privately about your listing…

sounds good

With a 17’ length and a 20.5" beam, the boat may feel twitchy compared to your current kayak. Your body will learn to accommodate that rather soon. The Sirius may have evolved, I don’t know. But it probably has 3 hatches (bow, stern, and day hatches). In your examination, make sure the skeg works smoothly and completely (the skeg probably goes down no further than 70 degrees). I have a P&H Cetus Classic and the skeg is easy to work on.

My lower back was injured long ago and is slightly crooked. I typically need to modify a kayak seat for comfort. This was not the case with the P&H seat in my Cetus; it was fine once adjusted.

1 Like

My 2 cents… a Dagger Stratos 14.5 S. skeg, comfortable, good storage capacity, great for touring and surf, the “S” model is for smaller… I have the “L”.
Great kayaks.

3 Likes

Hi,
My name is Lydia , I was just in your shoes a couple of years ago.
I wanted to get a good start up kayak and improve my skills.
I have a short torso too, I even use a shorter child 's PFD.
I love my Impex for that reason , I am 145 lbs too, and I learned rolling with this boat.
Boat is a bit longer 17 " , I think well suited for a taller person like you.
Tracks well, goes straight without any effort .
For longer trips, I get less tired with this boat. Mine is Impex force 3, fits for 145 lbs.
I am in and out paddling Connecticut, shoot me an email or call if you want to try the boat.
Best

1 Like

Howdy @bker, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Welcome, Lydia. OP, if you want an Impex Force Cat 3 there are at least 3 of them currently for sale in the NE for around $12-1300, maybe you could negotiate it down to $1000. Check out FB marketplace.

This one’s carbon-kevlar, supposedly 50 lbs.

2 Likes

Wow, it’s a good thing I don’t live in the NE. I’d probably have eleventy billion boats by now…

4 Likes

Hi Lydia, thanks so much! I’ll send you an email.