self adhesive vs. glue in knee pads vs

velcro. Seeking advice as to which is a better idea. NRS has both. Or is velcro an option, as if so that comes in self adhesive or not. Not sure which way to go to keep pad from sliding when wet and keeping butt on seat.

Self adhesive…

– Last Updated: Apr-20-08 5:52 PM EST –

It has been my experience that the self adhesive pads do not hold up to long term use. I've tried them twice; never again. Others may tell you they can't get them loose with a forklift.

I have never used velcro, but a good paddling buddy has a solo/tandem saddle in his Caption(he used velcro)and it has held up well.
Surprising how well it does holds.
Others may tell you their toddler pulls it loose.
I think it more likely that extreme heat from the sun, when the boat is mounted on your vehicle affects the adhesive backing on the velcro.

I use Weldwood to put mine in.
See Mohawk Canoe website for a good description of the installation process.
Problems typically occur with this process when people don't follow directions. Using too much adhesive may result in hull damage.

The only problem I ever encountered was when I sold a boat, and the the pads didn't fit the new buyer. Well actually, it was the new owner's problem. Anyway, they can be removed but it's a hassle; I've removed several pair from used boat I purchased.
Not a job I enjoy.

Another option; kneeling pad from Cooke, or Bell.
I don't use a keeling pad in a whitewater boat. May lose it if it isn't tied in, and may become a foot entrapment issue if it is. Others may tell you they use their Cooke pad when they're doing the Grand Canyon in their OT Discovery 119.

Pick your poison.

BOB

Advantage of Velcro
You can change pad thickness with the season. That is, in colder weather when you wear a wet suit or layers, you can switch to thinner paddling for a better fit.

Glue…
I have used Barge Cement to fix my kneeling pads. I haven’t tried to remove them… They have been secure for three seasons now. Pads are cheap “ensolite” blue from Wal-Mart.

G

1 Like