Senoir paddlers

My young mistress is getting …
…a new yak and a new ONNO custom built wing paddle, and it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if she doesn’t leave me in her wake.

She has been exactly 1 MPH average behind me in training and that has been with her using a touring paddle and me with a wing.

I sure wish we could get a lot more of these good looking chicks in their 60’s out on the water.

Cheers,

JackL

Don’t remember…

– Last Updated: Jan-06-06 12:49 PM EST –

Wha Ho, Old Pilgrims;

Fat Elmo dun't really rekon' how ancient me be, but ah's gots a HIN number stamped onta me right heinne cheek wit de last two numbers bein' '53'.

Fat Elmo

when you can
When I was younger and there was less of me, I wanted my own canoe but it was beyond my financial limits or so it seemed.

Two years ago an educated unemployed human resources man who was about 58 at the time thought he was going to help me unload a couple of kayaks from my van to my condo patio. Instead he said “we are two old for kayaks” and “where did you get the kayaks from”.

I responded with “maybe you are too old but some of us had to wait until we were making enough money to afford to do what we would have been doing along time ago if we could have” and I also said something about “so I have a bad leg and have to roll out of my cockpit into the water - I’m going to learn to do this one day or die trying”.

This year I will be 56. The year I paddled the most since 1966 when I was 16 - was 2005.

Never too old to learn
I am in my 6th season of kayaking and don’t plan on quitting. Hubby bought me an OT Otter for my 55th birthday and at times probably regrets the day he did as we live next to a river and many times I come home from work, change into paddling gear, hit the water, and have a late dinner. Great stress reliever!

I also love rustic camping, joined a ladies only kayak group, and started spending a lot of time with them, even though he complained, but he continued to channel surf as usual. I finally told him, he had a choice! He could either join me or please don’t gripe! He has blessed me by not only being willing to go camping when he can (due to his type of work) but also by becoming one of my paddling pals. I still haven’t convinced him to winter paddle with me, but he says, “I work in cold weather, I don’t want to play in it, too”. So we both make compromises. Perhaps, that’s one of the things that has kept us together for 45 years.

We now have 11 kayaks, three of which are SOTs. Our son, his wife, and four kids (4-12 years old)live next door. The grandkids love to paddle and one wants to go during any type of weather.