Shearwater adventure!

Hello,

I just got back from a 7 day solo trip covering over 100 miles, 9 lakes, 3 rivers and lots of excitement.

I traveled the western part of the BWCA in my Swift Shearwater. I boated daily in 10 to 15 inch waves. Fishing broad side in these waves became routine and was never a problem. I crossed larger bodies of water in 16 to 20 inch waves with never a worry and even had a bad chop with 2 foot waves and larger. I never took on water in my boat. In fact, I kept up with tandems at cuising speeds. My weight with my self and gear was 280-290 pounds. This was easily handled by the Shearwater and I could have added another 50 pounds easily.

I caught lots of fish, the largest being a Nortern about 45 inches ( honestly! ) I had deer in camp every day and boated quietly enough to get within a paddles distance of a feeding deer once. I had a bear in my canoe, then walk in camp up to me. We had a staring contest and after a while, it just left never to return (luckily). I also boated quietly enough to get with in 15 yards of a moose calf and its mother (too close). Luckily I just glided off and there was no incident.

The shearwater is extremely manoverable. I boated in narrow rivers (20 to 30 feet wide)bolder strewn with tight turns. My boat manovered this area much better than the tandems I encountered.

I was left with a sense of awe for the wildlife in teh BWCA, as well as a real confidence for the safety I feel in my Shearwater. It was a great trip!!

Brammy1 (formerly Brammy)

wtg
Way to go Brammy, sounds like an excellent trip.

Well done Brammy
excellent trip report, awesome wildlife encounters. My only bear sighting to date is a patch of black fur running through the woods hightailing it out of site. Wish I could have been there to stare at your bear with you.

I’m very deligted to hear your take on the Shearwater. If you have a picture we can put it up as the July centerfold on canoe dancing.

Regards,

Andy

Sound Fun
Sounds like a good trip. Glad you enjoyed it.