Ship or sell the kayaks---sorry might be kinda long

We have come the unfortunate near conclusion that we may move from the beautiful UP to someplace with a different climate. My health has not been improving from the mold issue, despite many $1000s put into remediation and Drs, RXs etc. We are approaching 2 years of health issues although less than a year since the mold diagnosis.

The mold issue can disrupt neurologic, respiratory permanently, which is what the Drs. are beginning to think has happened. Biggest problem is the migraines that put me down for a few days and that seem to come and go with changes in barometric pressure. I can handle the breathing issues although on colder damp days its brutal. As Rookie and other Michiganders will attest— damp and moving fronts are part of Michigan life.

Over the years we have winnowed our possessions down and we could probably put everything we would want to take with us in the van. But there is the dogs and the kayaks so that is not going to happen. It is possible that if we put a rack on the roof, and rent a small trailer-- we might squeeze everything in and leave most of the van for the dogs.

I have started on online hunt and a 12 ft pod type thing from Kalkaska(closest point to us) to Tucson is about $3400 The kayaks were about $2300. So roughly $1000 to move everything else. Tucson is just a starting point as we have friends there who will help us find a rental that takes dogs. From there, we think we want to look at Lake Havasu area.

Any thoughts, comments etc will be greatly appreciated. We are hugely saddened to think we are actively considering this :’(

Sometimes a startover ain’t that bad. I’ve found that possessions often become liabilities that you have to store and protect and worry about.
Look at the fire and storm victims that lost 100%. While an extreme immediate hardship I bet they will look at what is necessary a little differently in the future.
I lost about 90% of my stuff and now almost happy about it. I now have stuff I really need and much less to worry about.
Without your health nothing else matters. Good Luck.

Moving for better climate I understand. Moving to a place you’ve never been has its own risks. Pollen bothers me. A few, or perhaps a LOT of years ago I was sent to AZ by my employer. I figured at last some relief for two weeks. I landed there in Tucson and found out it rained and everything in the desert was blooming. Hay-fever season in Tucson.

My limited experience in AZ says no kayaking unless it is in reservoirs or white water ………….and there’s a lot of dry brown between the rare little bit of water. Maybe you won’t need the kayaks.

Have you been to these areas?

Yeah we are not real thrilled with this.

Overstreet–We have vacationed/visited friens a handful of times in the southwest and its nice enough, just not the UP. Lake Havasu is on the Colorado River and it appears that water recreation is a big part of the area… Have a former co-worker who snowbirds there, so have to get in touch.

Grayhawk-- we learned a number of years ago that most stuff is just stuff. there would be a few things that we would want tp take --a couple small end tables made by my dad, couple of paintings by Jims grandfather. Most everything else we own, not much attachment. Oh–would also have to take the 20v Milwaukee tools-- to expensive to replace and to useful not to have.

If we take the kayaks we would rent a 12 foot “pod” which is considered large enough for a 2-3 room apartment. Plenty of space for what little we really have. The next size down in only $300 or so less, that’s why we would consider the larger pod.

Does UPS ship these type of things.?

So sorry to hear about the health problems, Yooper. The rain just about each day this past October made that month quite damp and miserable. That was an oddity. A four letter word can only describe November: snow. And we’re not even close to the winter solstice yet. Winters can be tough, admittedly, but for me it’s a small price to pay for the chance to live surrounded by the Great Lakes and an abundance of fresh water.

I think you purchased your home in the Sault; as the real estate market stinks in the winter, have you considered becoming snowbirds and wintering in an area you think will have a healthier climate for you? Might prevent a nomadic existence if your first choice didn’t work out.

BTW, Meyer Ace Hardware in Gaylord rents U-Haul sport trailers. Closer to I-75 than Kalkaska.

UPS does do freight. But as someone who’s lost a poly kayak to a UPS forklift puncture – that was freight shipped from a dealer across one state – I wouldn’t trust UPS with anything so valuable again. Mine was shipped back to the dealer and replaced fairly effortlessly, but I imagine they, the shipper, have to go through some serious paperwork to get that insurance money. (And frankly if your health is an issue there are better activities than building and packing custom wooden crates?)

If you’re exploring all options, KAS Transport are the best deal in terms of reliability and cost, but you’re kind of on their schedule for pickup and delivery; they’re a mom-and-pop operation with a winding route across the country. Might be worth reaching out to ask though – www.shipyourkayak.com

Condolences for your health problems, I hope you feel better!

That is how I picked up our Tsunami Northstar for $200 because our neighbor was moving far away and it was cheaper to buy a new one for him than to have it “moved” or shipped.

Agreed that freight is very risky way of shipping kayaks, especially composite designs. I am no expert but having been through this by proxy and benefitted greatly on the receiving end I would say sell.

Rookie-- we have talked abit about snowbirding, sometime will put pencil to paper. Really don’t want to leave. Despite its warts and scars, the Soo is the type of place we like. Although–Bay View in Petosky might have been nice also. :slight_smile:

Right now the partly sunny/cloudy mid 20s and occasional lake effect is supposed to stick around until early next week. Started to feel better yesterday and more so today. If the forecast is correct I’ll feel better and back to normal in another day or so. That’s been the pattern all along, and I guess why the Neuro, and couple other MDs consider the possibility of a barometric induced type aliment, although it is not considered a true medical condition. Sorta like “granny and her rheumatism”. One of the RXs is anti-cholesterol meds as the moldy stuff is stored in fat cells and the liver, or something to that effect.

Always Wet-- was hoping that someone had some experience with shipping this way-- happy yours ultimately worked out. We have Eddylines so as CA139 suggested composites might be more fragile.

CA139-- did you play the lottery that day? Seems to have been a lucky one for you.

Have one more thing we are going to try. Ordered a infrared sauna a couple of weeks ago-- its finally here just waiting on the electrician to come in. Normally I would do the wiring, but our panel is full and it requires a dedicated line.

I sort of won the lottery that day with our Northstar but I will tell you the story as to why because it relates to you.

The owner did not have a lot of time before the move which is what you need in order to find a buyer and get the best price you can. A lot of people put their Kayak on Craigslist hoping to get the best price they can but that means having people come over, look at it over time and if you have a deadline to move that doesn’t work which is why the owner just asked for a couple hundred bucks as he was moving 1000 miles, he needed to just get rid of it and we knew him, he was nice and he knows we would have enjoyed it as he saw us paddling all the time.

Shipping a composite is risky. Look at videos, read stories, more than every once in a while composite Kayaks get damaged by moving companies, and everything told it ain’t cheap to ship them. I saw a video of someone reviewing his Stellar 21’ tandem and the first few minutes were of it arriving damaged by the shipping company.

If you can load it on racks and bring it that would work the best but it doesn’t seem like that is an option due to your dogs. Maybe you can rent a little bigger trailer?

If you really have to sell maybe the best choice would be a local mom and pop type paddle shop and ask them to sell them on consignment. Tell them your story, leave your Kayaks there and ask to get the best price you can but that you’re willing, eventually, to have the price lowered if need be. That’s really too bad…

When we get a pressure drop, my body feels like I’ve been an NFL tackling dummy.

String---- I hear ya.

I seem to recall that you are nearish the big water pond in SC, so I would imagine you get a great deal of weather fluctuation as we do here by the big inland pond.
I can handle the body aches and the breathing is mostly a problem in the cold damp-- its the damned headaches, and lightening bolts in the eyes that really get to me.

I recently tried CoQ10 on my dr’s advice to rebuild after taking statins…
Worked great for me…

@Yooper16
Yup, Bay View’s Victorian, colorful homes are charming. It also has a wonderful music festival with excellent productions. Alas, residence is limited to May through October so all the homes are closed down, pipes blown, shuttered and boarded up during the winter months. Same with Wequetonsing and Harbor Point in Harbor Springs. You’d be a snowbird for certain!

Your infrared sauna sounds delightful! Hope it helps. As I’m sure you know by now, if you don’t like the weather here, wait 24 hours and it will change.

@Yooper16 said:
String---- I hear ya.

I seem to recall that you are nearish the big water pond in SC, so I would imagine you get a great deal of weather fluctuation as we do here by the big inland pond.
I can handle the body aches and the breathing is mostly a problem in the cold damp-- its the damned headaches, and lightening bolts in the eyes that really get to me.

That sucks. I hope it improves

@CA139 said:

That is how I picked up our Tsunami Northstar for $200 because our neighbor was moving far away and it was cheaper to buy a new one for him than to have it “moved” or shipped.

Agreed that freight is very risky way of shipping kayaks, especially composite designs. I am no expert but having been through this by proxy and benefitted greatly on the receiving end I would say sell.

What is a Tsunami Northstar? Google had no answers.

@RussSeese said:

@CA139 said:

What is a Tsunami Northstar? Google had no answers.

Sorry we have Wilderness Systems Tsunami and the Northstar. Confused names, it’s their old tandem, it was heavy and huge but very fast and stable with lots of room, very comfortable to boot. Brand new it was not cheap, when they used to make it probably $2,000ish.

Rookie— didn’t realize that Bayview was only seasonal. Would explain the barricades we saw a couple of weeks ago.
We really like Petosky–gave some serious thought about moving there. But, we wanted housing within the walkable older downtown area and the $$ were pretty impressive.

Each medical visit requires a shopping spree at the Grain Train, for those healthier choices not available up here.

Trust you have heard the high school Steel Drum Band. Probably one of the most enjoyable concerts we have ever gone to=== watching their enthusiasm was inspiring.