shipping fiberglass kayaks

Does anyone have suggestions for how to ship a 16ft fiberglass kayak cross-country? There seem to be size-limits at companies like UPS and FedEx that prevent packages over ~8-12 ft. I called an air-freight company (pilot air), but they’re not taking packages from individuals due to security issues.

I know there’s a classified ad section on this page, so people must ship them all the time…how do you do it?

Thanks much,

J

Forward Air
They are really a trucking company with terminals located at or near airports. We had an 18’ boat shipped from Fl to Ca for $125. It was bubble wrapped and tarped. No damage.

How about a shipping company…
…that will pick up a boat from a residential address. Obviously, this will be more expensive, but forward air only seems to operate out of major cities.

Best,

J

from & where to?
where to you have to get them to I run in Canada only if that will help mail me

Steven

The boat needs to go
from Florida to Wisconsin.

J

Wisconsin…
How soon does it need to be there?

Joe3

Another option
There is a company based in Florida called (I think this is right) Affordable Boat Carriers. I used them to get my carbon canoe from Savage River (in Maryland) to Chattanooga, TN. It ran around $200, and it took a while, but these folks know how to handle boats, have proper trailers, padding, etc. Might be worth a shot if you run out of other options.

Con-Way
QCC (in Wisconsin) uses Con-Way (consists of multiple carriers) to ship nationwide.

It is terminal to terminal - but they have a LOT of service centers. I think they can do door to door - for extra of course.

https://www.con-way.com/default.asp?bhcp=1

There’s no real rush…
…but the lakes around here aren’t frozen anymore, so the sooner the better.

Best,

J