Shoes, sandals or socks

I have a pair of water shoes that came from a box store to walk along the shoreline in, and they work out well for foot protection. Not real chunky or clunky, decent grip if stepping on something slimey as you might find at a boat launch. However, I don’t like wearing shoes as I like to flex my tootsies and this includes while paddling.

I would always by my dress shoes an the next width and actually pretty much all shoes that way. If I cant get a double or triple wide, I go up a 1/2 size.(old shoe-dog trick). Sandals can be a difficult fit as the little guy tends to flop out, depending on the straping. Even sandals though, do not allow for the flexing I like. I have also discovered that putting the water shoes back on and snugging to fit can be a bit ackward while still in the boat.

The 3T items look interesting. Have been reading the threads I can find. Of course being up here in the retail wasteland, not many places to shop, so not many chances to gauge fit.

Any preferences, thoughts etc? Does your preference run short, narrow etc? Do you size up to the next full size etc?

Once again I shall be in your debt. :slight_smile:

Between canoe and kayak I paddle about a thousand miles plus or minus a year and I have given up on store bought water shoes
. I want something that will be good for portages, will keep the sand and pebbles out, will not get sucked off my feet if I am standing in a foot of mud and be easy on and off.
About ten years ago I started using Wally World what I guess you would call “running shoes” for working around the house. They are light weight ,come in gray or black, have a firm, but not to stiff bottom and rippled for ;portage traction and have two velcro closure straps and cost around $13.
Then several years ago thought they just might be the answer to my sought after water shoes.
I used a soldering gun to burn three small drain holes in the lower back near the heel and a few more on the front side just above the bottom. They turned out to be perfect and one pair will last several seasons before coming apart.
When I get in the canoe or kayak, I just take a few seconds to keep my feet dangling over the side so they can drain out, and once in the boat if I want my tootsies bare, (which they like to be) I just undo the two velcro straps and they are easy on and off.
They come in all sizes, so it is best to try them on in the store

My favorites are Keen H2 except for the little toe thing. I have to stuff it back in when I get out of the boat.

I assume you don’t paddle in dry wear, with a goretex sock? If that is the case l know people who like Chota sandals.

JackL–my water shoes came from Meijers for $15. Nice and airy and with drains on the soles, We bought them to walk the beach and into the lake with. Past experience has shown that rusty angle iron and feet don’t mix well. Didn’t think about something similar in Velcro–will have to look around.–Thanks

Yep String-- its that damned little toe thing, although sandals would be easier to slip back on when landing.
This all came up when a few days ago, I didn’t put the shoes back on and just about broke my noodle as I slipped on the ooze at the landing.

Celia-- had read here about these but hadn’t looked them up-- that might be what I want or something similar.
Any ideas on how they run for fit? I have duck feet --narrow in the heel, wide in the toe. We are at present not wearing special clothes. We look like a couple of old beach combers, in cargo shorts, t- shirt and wide brim hats. We will be looking for appropriate clothing for fall weather paddling. That will be another question later on.

I wear wetsuit booties with a tread. Not for portaging. I have an Imelda Marcos closet of paddling specific footwear for cold and hot. No sandals at all. I hate gravel and shell fragments in sandals.

@Celia said:
I assume you don’t paddle in dry wear, with a goretex sock? If that is the case l know people who like Chota sandals.

I have dry wear and Chota mukluks for our 2-3 cold months.

String–We each have Keen walking shoes and boots and am impressed with the quality. I tried a pair of sandals last year and of course that little toe thing happens.

Goog;led Chota and many of the sandals appear to be on Ebay. Went to the website and no sandals listed. Must of gotten out of that part of the business. That look like the type of thing that would let me flex my feet and not have to mess around with putting water shoes back on. Should work well until the later part of September, then will have to look for something a tad more water resistant.

Thanks.

My Chota Mukluks are knee high boots for winter wear.
I got my son in law some Teva sandals for his BD. They are very shoe like , esp the toe protection. He likes them better than Keens. And no toes stick out.

@string said:
My Chota Mukluks are knee high boots for winter wear.
I got my son in law some Teva sandals for his BD. They are very shoe like , esp the toe protection. He likes them better than Keens. And no toes stick out.

They are Teva Ominums.

I wear Chota Mukluk Lites pretty much all the time.

Academy Sports has Ominums marked down to $50 right now.

Bass Pro Shops has a water shoe for wading the flats. Vented with a good sole. It spreads out the pressure from the pegs and gives good protection in the water.

Looked at Bass Pro and we and they have some very similar water shoes. Need the toe wiggle space, at least for now, as the mycotoxin poisoning I had causes massive foot spasms and joint locking.

Do appreciate everyones ideas. Loved the Chota sandals appearance and at least know which way I should be looking. Too bad they aren’t made anymore.

Responding to question re Chota sandals… I wear neo booties pretty much year round, so can’t comment on the Chota fit. Just that they are well liked by local paddlers who go out with lighter foitwarevthan mem

@Celia said:
Responding to question re Chota sandals… I wear neo booties pretty much year round, so can’t comment on the Chota fit. Just that they are well liked by local paddlers who go out with lighter foitwarevthan mem

Is that German or do you have fingers like mine?

Oops, cell phone typing. Fellow paddlers who want lighter footwear than l usually favor.