Short boat, tall order

Went out last Sunday with my buddy on his 20+ year old 17’ aluminum Grumman/Sea Nymph on Lake Natoma (Sacramento, CA area). Had an absolutely great time. But on the upcurrent trip back to the launch pad, it felt like it took 3 paddle strokes to cover the same amount of distance 1 stroke covered in the opposite direction. We made it, with a brief rest stop in a small cove, none the worst for wear.

Since I’m in the market for my own canoe, I thought I’d ask this simple question.

Given the wealth of floating experience on this site, what in your opinion, is the most efficient (tracking/gliding-wise), load-holding capacity (500 lbs. actual), lightweight (

Message cut in half

– Last Updated: Sep-19-06 11:14 PM EST –

Here's the rest...Given the wealth of floating experience on this site, what in your opinion, is the most efficient (tracking/gliding-wise), load-holding capacity (500 lbs. actual), lightweight (

Well…
this post is obviously shot. Don’t know what’s going on. But all I see is part of it. Shiver me timbers!

One last try
Given the wealth of floating experience on this site, what in your opinion, is the most efficient (tracking/gliding-wise), load-holding capacity (500 lbs. actual), lightweight (58 lbs. or less) 16’ to 16.5’ canoe for flatwater use? I’ll be 57 next month and want a boat I can paddle and trucktop by myself. Most of my trips will be short solo (60%) jaunts, but the rest will be tandem with camping/hunting gear for weeklong forays. I studied We-no-nah’s 2006 catalog and came up with the 16’6" Escapade. Your opinions?

solo/tandem
Solo daytripping & tandem with gear is a pretty big weight spread for one canoe to handle efficiently. Anything big enough for the full load is going to catch a lot of wind, although a spray cover would help with that.

Bell Northstar? Certainly not as efficient as something like a Jensen, but seems happy with a variety of loads and conditions.

Penobscot 16

– Last Updated: Sep-20-06 9:33 AM EST –

Maybe the a 16',58# Old town Penobscot. Paddled one last year for a short run, not bad solo or tamden.

http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/expedition/penobscot_16.html

Keep the open side up :~) Dave

Maybe a Swift Kipawa?
http://www.swiftcanoe.com/canoes/catalogue/kipawa.htm

I second the OT Penobscot
16’2" and 58 pounds. Reasonably priced, should be able to get one for around $800 - 900 new. I use mine almost exclusively tandem as I have two dedicated solos. Two adults (each 200 lbs) plus gear for a week and no problem even in windy conditions with 1-2 foot swells. It solos fairly well if paddled reverse from the bow seat.

I have also had a Nova Craft Bob Special in royalex. Very stable and a great solo boat but a bit cramped (15 foot and 58 pounds)for two adults and gear.

No other experience with tandems and tripping but I bet you will get lots of advice.

not a boat recommendation
Take a look at Thule “Hullivator”. I am not sure it can be used with canoes, but it makes putting a kayak on top of even a full size van a breeze.