Short Term Roof Rack Solution

Having rented sea kayaks several times this summer and taken three really great lessons, I’m now considering trying to score a boat at the end-of-season sales in the next week or two. It will be tough having being only able to use it at most once or two until late next spring when the water warms up again, but it seems like the best time to buy.

I don’t need to make a long-term decision on a rack but I would need get it home, an hour or so drive.

We have three vehicles, one is a Toyota Venza (like a Lexus 350R) with factory aero bars which would be the best choice. Also have some cam-lock straps from the hardware store, and hood tie-down loops. I figure if I just had pads, I could get someone to help lift a boat up onto it.

The only thing I can find that will arrive by this weekend are these – https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024ATXR0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

There are mixed reviews but I’d eventually upgrade so I only need one or two trips. Then they might be useful if I just want to keep a boat of the garage floor for quick storage.

Think that would do for a short-term solution? Anything suggestions on anything easier or better?

-l2t aka Ken

These work ok. Just make sure you strap them to the BOAT first, then put a strap around the boat and vehicle/rack. If you just stick them between the boat and vehicle with one strap you risk them coming out and damaging your roof. First hand experience talking here. I’m sure there’s a YouTube video I’ve linked to in the past showing the proper use of foam blocks.

There’s another recent thread floating around with some decent ideas, like the ever-handy pool noodles.

Spend the $ to get a Thule Hullaport Pro or Yakima J-Lo. You’re going to eventually upgrade from blocks, more’n-likely.

See you on the water,
Marshall Seddon
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: www.the-river-connection.com
Store: www.the-river-connection.us
Facebook: fb.me/theriverconnection

Yeah, I’ll get a real rack as soon as I decide which one I want.

FYI, I’d be putting the blocks on factory aero bars, not flat on a roof. I don’t know how the tie-to-the-boat-first technique would be needed if I do that.

The foam pad you listed should work. I have similar. I only do the strap pad to boat first when using on bare roof - on bars I place on bars, place boat on pads on bars, and strap together.

Cam lock for strapping are a concern. it is way too easy to overtighten them - people have ruined boats with these straps. Cam strap buckles are the preferred method for straps across boat/bar. Ropes for front and stern.

One issue that sometimes occurs with straight across cross bars without any sort of attachment is that baots can slip right or left. If the rails (the front to back bars) re elevated, looping through rails on one side along with the cross bar would lock the boat left/right. The Venza looks like it is not, so you can’t do this. Make sure yo use bow line, as this will help keep boat aiming straight. I had a boat once turn so the boat was pointing a couple of feet off the passenger side - rather scary. Long term, saddles or j-rack or stacker all provide that left-right lock to prevent a boat from shifting.

@Peter-CA said:

Cam lock for strapping are a concern. it is way too easy to overtighten them - people have ruined boats with these straps. Cam strap buckles are the preferred method for straps across boat/bar. Ropes for front and stern.

You may be referring to “ratchet buckles” when mentioning overtightening. I do not have ratchet buckles. The straps I have have cam buckles.

Thanks for the tip on left/right security.

-Ken

I’ve used these for many years on my Subaru Forester before up grading.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/attwood--kayak-car-top-carrier-kit--18462770?recordNum=8
The foam blocks will fit on the factory racks.

Or you could just get some pool noodles…….
https://forums.paddling.com/discussion/2937899/kayak-rack-custom#latest

or “Armaflex” from the hardware store.

@l2t said:

@Peter-CA said:

You may be referring to “ratchet buckles” when mentioning overtightening. I do not have ratchet buckles. The straps I have have cam buckles.

My bad. Sorry about the confusion.

Hey Ken, you might check craigslist to see if there is a Thule or Yakima rack that fits one of your vehicles…there could be a bargain that fits your needs.