Should I buy "angler edition" or . . .

My question for this morning is; What are the advantages and disadvantages of buying the “angler edition” of a series. A shop said it would be the same thing and same price either way. Are the accessores installed better or of better quality than what they install?

Do you suggest buying the already rigged angler editions or letting the shop customize it for me, if they are they same price?

(just saw the Prowler. They didn’t have the angler edition in stock) – Not that i need it today.

thanks!

Good question
I personally would not buy the angler editions. Most of the time they are a couple of hundred bucks more. But, I see you can get one at the same price so it might be ok for you. My reasoning not to get an angler edition is this. It will come tricked out already, but you may find that where they have placed the extras don’t really work for your style of fishing. I like to paddle and fish out af a boat for a while to get a feel for for where I need to put things I really need.

Rod holders are a good example. I have found that a milk crate in my tankwell with 2 pieces of PVC in it work great as a rodholder and a catch all for my tackle boxes, pliers, lip gripper, etc., because I can rest the milk grate on top of the tankwell everything stays dry. I don’t like a rod holder perched in front of me, but in the angler version there is one there.

Basically, angler editions really only give you rod holders as the extra. Kayak manufactuers usually just rivet them in place and they end up taking on water. I’d rather put them in myself in a spot I know will work for me and seal and screw them down. That way I know they’re in right and won’t leak.

Angler
Angler editions are fine if the money is similar. I have a Pungo angler, and I also have a regular Pungo and a Perception Sundance 12 that I outfitted the same exact way as the angler for less money than a new angler would cost.

Ask yourself:

Do I have the necessary tools to do the job?

Am I comfortable cutting a hole in my kayak to install equipment?

Do I have the time to do all of this?

If the answers are yes, save money and do it yourself.

thanks for the good info
I think, the answers to your questions are, no, no and nope.

I don’t trust myself cutting holes in the boat. I would let the shop do it.

That milk crate idea sounds perfect. But I THOUGHT I’d probably want another rod holder or two as well. I’ll take your advice and paddle around and fish and see if I can come up with the best spots for stuff.

thanks!

hole cutting
after you put that first hole in the boat, the rest are easy. I say customize it yourself. Remember, there’s nothing wrong with liberal applications of clear silicone.

Getting a Prowler?

– Last Updated: Mar-30-04 8:45 AM EST –

If you are the milk crate works great. I use a Scupper Pro TW which is very similar to the Prowler. I rig one rod to troll with (angled one piece of PVC to use for trolling) and another rod for casting. The Prowler and Scupper Pro TW have the same forward hatch. I stick two more rods below deck in case I want to switch how I'm fishing. My son has the crate on his Scupper Pro TW rigged with 4 pieces of PVC pipe so he can carry 4 rods at the ready. I found that cumbersome for me because I only fish one rod at a time.

DO it yourself Wade
you’ll be glad you did and you’ll have a custom fishing rig set up the way YOU want with YOUR choice of doo-dads and gee-gaws. In my case, I bought the Loon 111 instead of the Predator model of the 111 and saved myself 200 bucks (250 with my frequent customer discount at Galyans) and installed two Berkly rod holders just aft and to the left and right of my elbows. Almost all of the “fishing” or “Sporting” models mount one in front. Why? If I have a rod in front, it’s usually in my hand or laying athwart across my lap while I tie on a lure… and only momentarily. I keep two others rigged, and pointed aft in easy reach bhind me…AND I can angle them down to pass under shoreline trees and overhangs.

Seriously, half the fun of doing it yourself is the research, and then the admiration of your fellow yak-fisherfolk as they admire your custom ‘ride’.

Angler Models
Its probably tough to drill holes in a new boat, but once you see that you can buy stainless steel everything at Marine West and put them where you want them, its a no brainer.

Take a look at some of the Angler models and you will see that your paying twice what you can do it yourself for and use better material then the factory. If you mess up then just glue a rubber grommet in the hole and move on.