Shoulder season gloves

Any advice for gloves that’ll keep my fingers warm while allowing me to feel the paddle? Will .5 neoprene NRS Hydroskin be warm enough? Conversely would 3mm Neosport dive gloves be too thick and restrictive? Any recommendations? Thanks!

The gloves that worked best for me were Glacier Gloves in their former ice-climbing rendition. Articulated finger joints, waterproof grippy outside, fleecy inside, warm enough for shoulder seasons. The thickness of the raw neoprene meant that the gloves did affect perception of grip, so with the change of seasons I had to get used to it. That did not take too long, though. I think they were 3mm thick.

I wore mine out. When I tried to find the same model, the closest thing was their cycling gloves.

You would do well to visit a flagship REI and some good paddling shops to check the gloves out in person. Make sure they feel OK.

Whatever you do, stay away from Sealskinz. The feel on paddle shaft is superior, but they leak like a sieve, are not warm enough, and are nearly impossible to turn inside out. Therefore, they stink despite washing with detergent after literally every outing.

1 Like

+1 Glacier Gloves. I have 2 pair of the 2mm models. One stays in the day hatch. They fit snug and are a bit curved in the fingers (has something to do with how you mold neoprene). Comfy and they keep me warm.

The first time I wore them, I got stuck in mud while launching. Without thinking it through, I shoved my hand into the water to push-off. A bit of water flooded the glove and I cursed myself for doing that but within a minute my hand was warm (but wet) again.

Good article here on glove selection. I painted the seems of my gloves with Aquaseal as suggested in the article.

Pretty sure I got my gloves from Marshall. Amazon used to sell them but I don’t see them there anymore.

Mine probably were 2mm. I don’t remember for sure.

George Gronseth at Kayak Academy (Issaquah) sold those gloves. He was the one who recommended sealing the seams, which I did. The gloves lasted a long time. His advice about Kokatat drysuits is also excellent.

Wow. I didn’t realize they had the dry suit information on their website. Would’ve like to have know some of that info. I recently saw someone with suspenders and wondered why a dry suit would have internal suspenders. Now I know, from reading George’s information (it’s to hold up the suit when you don’t have it pulled up and over your head while getting ready/hauling equipment around).

Thanks. I see a couple of Glacier Gloves 2mm. You think the perfect curve ones or the Ice Bay ones might be good?

Mine are the Perfect Curve. No texture like on the other model.

Are you up by Marshall? Go see him. He had a rack of these gloves last time I was there.

1 Like

Glacier gloves. but it has to get cold below 35-40° depending on wind. If I’m not using tem they are stuffed in my PFD in case I need them if I’m in the water with no boat.

What do you use when it’s less cold but still not… warm?

I use the NRS 0.5 mm HydroSkin gloves when the water is cooler. I do not go out if the water is below 60 or so.

The new design introduced last year seems to be more flexible than the prior year design.

Palm of the current design:

Palm of the prior design:

2 Likes

Thanks!

I use the fingerless NRS 0.5 mm guide gloves down to about 40F. They are a big step up in warmth from normal fingerless gloves. I love them and bought a back-up pair during a sale.

3 Likes

I like these, $5 at, I think Menards. Just basic but dries quickly and I don’t have to take them off to use my cell phone. They get wet so I take an extra pair. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/midwest-mens-max-grip-gloves

1 Like

Thanks!

My first pair were Ice Bay. Second pair were whatever the Perfect Curve was called then. Either will do for shoulder seasons.

For emergency use or unanticipated cold spray-ey spells, I carried a pair of thin polypro liner gloves (cheap if bought from an army-navy surplus store) plus a pair of disposable waterproof vinyl or nitrile gloves to pull over the polypro. Those will NOT last long before tearing, but they’re better than nothing. If you carry them all season, the poly pair also serves as a warming aid when you land.

I’ve had pretty good success with poagies in above freezing temps.

I just bought these NRS neoprene gloves with an REI credit.

I’m thinking they might also be good for walking around because I struggle with my gate and keys and leash in thick gloves.

NRS Ninja

I bought a pair of NRS pogies last year after using home made ones for several years. They are great for very cold weather but I prefer my home made ones for shoulder season. The NRS ones are too warm and fit too tight. They are hard to slide around on the paddle shaft and somewhat hard to get my hands into. I make mine out of bubble wrap envelopes. Very crude, but effective. They don’t need to fit tight.
My hands have poor circulation so gloves don’t keep them warm at all.