Signs of Fall

It is cool the way those stone arch bridges are built - held together by gravity.

1 Like

Hate to say it, but we definitely saw some color on the river yesterday - the swamp maples down by the water were bright red.

Conrad

Last weekend of the summer, so i guess it is to be expected.

2 Likes

Mogadore is such a nice place to paddle…

Yes, thanks to Akron’s past (and now gone) need for lots of water for industry we get this beautiful lake, surrounded by woods and with no houses. And, electric motors only.

Gorgeous

Great colors and photo!

Today was gloriously beautiful and warm so I thought I might see some fall color along the water. Turned out the reds and oranges were more prominent on the drive over.

Was still great to trade man-made noise for the music of wind, water, and wildlife.

1 Like

Not much color here yet. The walnuts are yellowing out and dropping leaves. I was up on the Wi/UP border last week and it was just starting there.

Love the cool evenings.

2 Likes

This seems like a good topic to post an update, since it’s been a while. Signs of fall, yes. I don’t really have a picture of signs of fall, but since it’s almost fall and the paddling season up here will soon take a pause, I can report that this, my first kayaking year, has been amazing beyond my expectations.

I’ve been out 18 times so far, each time being a little more adventurous while safe. I’ve kept a journal of each paddle, with dates, distances, a short description, and a Google map with traced route. Yes, this is definitely a new love. Bring on the fall and turning of the leaves. There are a few outings left in the year.

2 Likes

We were out yesterday cool morning, warm afternoon on the water and just the very first touch of fall colors, something changes in the air though and you can tell autumn is around the corner.

1 Like

. Past peak color change near Denali

1 Like

Water levels on my local rivers are low…but normal for the time of year. A couple of days ago I was stopped by sunken trees that I’ve paddled over all year.

The water in my local rivers is unusually clear. I do enjoy being able to see the river bottom. The wildlife seems more calm. Turtles are letting me get close rather than give up their spot in the sun; in the Spring I usually just hear them splash into the water before I start seeing them.

Ducks and blue heron are just quietly and calmly watching me go by whereas in the Spring they’d just fly away. Even the deer seem more calm.

Unfortunately another sign of Fall that I’m experiencing is increased gunfire. When you’re in a secluded place and hear nearby gunfire it sure takes away from the peaceful experience.

1 Like

Peaked in Anchorage

I could see a bit starting this weekend in Northern Michigan - mostly some swamp maples. The most color was in the wetlands along US 127 near Houghton Lake. Here you can just see a little starting on Six-Mile Lake:

1 Like

1 Like

nice colors on our trees this morning

2 Likes

Paris looks like she’s about to howl. Or bark. Sweet.

That is funny. I did not even see the dog the first time I looked at the picture.

Instantly, we have gone from summer to fall. Yesterday was rainy, windy, and muggy. By 10pm the sky was clear, the moon was bright, and the temp had dropped.
Last night we slept with a blanket and the
windows open. It’s predicted to be a beautiful week .

We shall fall
from summered grace
in random splashes
of color
and rain
dropping
with sun
each turn
of wind
and earth
over
a dim
shoulder
shuddering
to the chill
of frozen silence

2 Likes

Going camping next week. Good chance of snow above 6,500 feet.