Silver River and Juniper Springs Run Florida Photos

So my wife and I spent 3 days in FL paddling two of our favorite spots. Our son and his wife were there vacationing for a week at Juniper Springs. Kayak Ken has a cabin in Ocala National Forest So we parked our small travel trailer there the first night, and then went to Juniper springs to camp. here are photos of some of the sights on the water starting with our Silver Springs paddle on Tuesday.

Resting his chin taking a break. Turtle hopes it’s not a lunch break!

Ken snapped us in the canoe.

Turtle, Bowfin, and Longnose Gar

Silver River fort from the old attraction days

Cormorants nesting

Cormorants feeding and diving in unison in the big spring.

I need to get back there.

Little Blue Heron

White phase of Little Blue Heron

Pair of wood Ducks

The Manatee just went under after taking a breath. Can barely make it out under water off the tip of the black paddle blade. My camera battery died so I missed a number of great shots.

Eel Grass (Manatee food)

It’s a bit crowded on the log

Lily pads and bloom

Cypress knees

Some of Kayak Ken’s excellent photos
I’ll be watching you

Got all her ducks in a row

Anhinga preening

Juniper Springs Run Photos

Peninsula Ribbon Snake

Chicken Turtle sunning

We didn’t see any monkeys this trip, but there were lots of apes on the water! :smiley:

Ken in his Wenonah Voyager he bought years ago from String.

Nice pics!

Manatees still there? We saw one in Feb
The wood ducks were just courting then

Any ducklings? They were so unafraid. Best shot I ever got of wood ducks

i think they pay the birds and turtles to pose on the silver river. They seem unafraid of the parade of kayaks that stream by. Thus a great place for photography.

Juniper Springs is my favorite run of all time (Florida anyway). Thanks for the great pics.

Yes I agree it is a joy to paddle. Been doing it since the mid to late 60s. Saw it get trashy then the park service cracked down on disposable containers, and now you rarely see any litter.

Unfortunately where they rent canoes and kayaks nature can suffer due to those who don’t appreciate the beauty of creation and look at it as more of a place to party. I’ve also been going since the 60s. Not so much any more but still once in a while. Nothing like paddling through the woods on crystal clear water in a deep jungle.

@tdaniel said:
i think they pay the birds and turtles to pose on the silver river. They seem unafraid of the parade of kayaks that stream by. Thus a great place for photography.

…kayaks, canoes, fishing boats, pontoon boats, glass bottom boats, etc.