Sit In Rec Kayak On Ocean

@kayamedic says " It is an odd feeling to be half a mile out in two feet of water. Make sure you have a chart and take special care in “Passes”… Those are deeper water areas."

I went sailing once with a family friend on the Long Island Sound, Despite being the J24 boat (co) owner, he was not particularly experienced.

We were out in the middle of the sound, on a quiet afternoon, and passed a guy fishing in a small boat.

He called over and asked “do you guys have charts on board?”

Owner said “yes, why.”

The other guy responded “you should probably take them out…you’re in 4 feet of water!”

We looked over the side and saw the sandy bottom.

Yikes!

Absolutely would not work. On a cockpit that big the skirt will implode.

For those of us who paddle on salt water a sea kayak IS the “normal” kayak.

The go to, big water boat in Fla. is the surfski. They are easier to get into, out of and back into. They are also as fast as sea kayaks. Last time I was in Miami there a mess of them for sale cheap. The hip folk are on SUPs now.

The glades and south end of the state are not the place for the inexperienced. Conditions can change very quickly and every mangrove island looks like every other mangrove island. It might be a good idea to check on any guided trips and sign up for one.

There is no in between in Whitewater Bay. It is either super smooth or really nasty.

Totally credible… We lived on Long Island Sound in Madison CT. From time to time big sailboat races with big boats and depth finders etc.

6 foot tidal range isn’t much but Goose Rocks is underwater at high tide. Not by much but its not visible. Not all of LIS bottom is sandy

A 40 foot sailboat ran aground on Goose Rocks and the skipper said But I have a Depth Finder. Sea Tow however was quite happy.

Ayuh. You have to pay attention to it and something called a chart.