Sit in vs Sit on top

Great, it’s winter
time to raise the question of what is a kayak and what is a Kayak. The original question was very broad, SOT v.s. sit in. In that context all comparisons are fair game. Because I don’t roll, don’t paddle in brine, and my vessel is under 17’ I’ve been reduced to a lower class paddler and my opinion is “Loony.” And who left the orange peels in the middle of the trail I walk the dogs on? Really! This morning, there they were, frozen orange peals that won’t biodegrade until this ice age is over.

Yeah, I’d paddle ANY kayak right now
If I could!

This is the worst winter I’ve ever experienced anywhere. We’re at 102 inches of snowfall since Dec. 20. And this is the DRY part of winter.

Just wait till March…oh, boy.

Silly inlander! :wink:

– Last Updated: Jan-23-07 8:22 PM EST –

Colorado does have its wonders, and I love mountains and snow as much as anyone (even more than many, apparently), but as a paddler (and as one who feels claustrophobic if I'm inland for more than a week or so), I insist on living where there's always liquid water to paddle, and paddling season never ends. Just seems reasonable to me. Sunsets over my backyard pond aren't so bad either. :-)

By the way, pikabike, I don't know if you missed the downhill snow paddling video I posted a link to in the Paddler's Place forum the other day, so here it is again (perhaps you can try a bit of this?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3flztm1fF6s

Melissa

A kayak is nothing more than a kayak
Mr Taj:

You wrote “…The original question was very broad, SOT v.s. sit in. In that context all comparisons are fair game.”

Since I posted the question, allow me to remind you that if you don’t like it, then DO NOT READ IT. I am buying a kayak for my 14 year old kid and just asked for information. I am not a kayak freak; the vast mayority of the people who has posted comments here comes with stuff that has NOTHING to do with the original question; if my original question is too broad then beat it and do not read it; I feel free to post a question as broad or specific as I feel it should.

A misunderstanding for sure
gmstsd,

I was actually making a tongue-in-cheek comment toward greyak who sounded like he was making a slight toward recyaks. It really doesn’t make any difference to me what anyone paddles, nor would I criticize your post or method of questioning. The downfall of message board communication, as is frequently observed, is the absence of facial clues that reveal ones intent to banter rather than belittle. My apologies if I came off in a manner that offended you.

Taj

"making a slight toward recyaks"
Let me clarify by adding that wasn’t a slight. It was a full on! Rec kayaks SUCK and give other kayaks a bad name by association. :slight_smile:

Heavy, slow, and hard to self rescue - what’s to like?

I do of course recognize they are a reasonable choice for certain situations* - and I am VERY thankful am not in any of those situations! :wink:

• such situations including, but not limited to: Doing more floating than paddling, doing very short paddles, paddling on very tame/small/limited waters, wanting a ton of primary stability and lower COG than canoe, having low physical mobility/fitness requiring large cockpit, etc.

All things addressed well by rec equivalent SOT. Still heavy and slow, but at least they’re far less likely to swamp. Budgetary constraints are also often mentioned as reason to buy rec - but SOT, used sea kayaks, and homebuilts all can be had for similar prices.

Anyone not seeing the basic logic here, and looking for a flame war or feeling some need to defend their beloved pumpkin seeds (paddle what you want, really - just to don’t try to tell me they don’t have serious limitations/issues), please take it to another thread and leave this gentleman to his task of finding something suitable for his son!

No problem
Accepted. I know nothing about kayaks but the obvious difference of sitting on top or sitting in. My kid has been canoeing with me since he has memory but he is into fun and he doesn’t expect me to buy him a kayak; other than the tag price I really can’t care less wether is 1/2 degree colder or rolls left and/or right. After all I have read here I have more than a pretty good idea of what I could buy. I never meant to offend anybody with my question and didn’t know that riding a kayak was a matter of life and death for some people; I pretend to keep my head above the water and have fun with the kid.

An alternative…
Get a short plastic boat - SOT or SINK - grab a cheapo plastic paddle and take it down hills in the snow. Ok it isn’t paddling, but it is thumbing your nose at the snow in a way.

102 inches is more than out usual total snowfall for the whole winter. Since I think we have managed a measley 2 or 3 inches total so far, I’d be glad to take some of that off your hands if I could.

Priorities!
Greyak,

When his kid is old enough to legally appreciate the finer things in life:

I have yet to spill a drop of fine micro-brew in my big, heavy, stable recyak with the cup holder molded into the seat front, whilst landing my trout for supper. Try grabbing that trout with your teeth when you are rolling that highfalluten sea kayak of yours buddy! :wink:

Drinking and fishing…
… are more popular pastimes than kayaking. They may even be done in conjunction with kayaking by some. However,…

They are NOT kayaking.

Introducing these non-paddling uses also does nothing to counter what I’ve posted. Actually they bolster my case. If you’re gonna be drinking and/or messing with fishing gear - or doing anything else other than paddling - and have no interest in developing more skills - an SOT makes even MORE sense over a rec boat.

You also severely underestimate how stable I am in my sea kayak - and what I can or can’t do in it. I could poke around, drink, fish, whatever. Many do. I simply prefer to paddle - and select paddling gear accordingly.

Collect your gear?
Most of your gear, if not all of it, would be inside the hatch compartments in a SINK (and in some SOTs).

Some people can roll both SOTs and SINKs. A wet exit is not the only option for everybody.

Sunsets
They sun goes behind the ridge here at 3 pm now instead of 2:30!

I agree there is nothing like a west coast over-the-water sunset. The prolonged, subtle sunset and twilight of summer in SE Alaska is one of my most cherished memories from that trip.

Well, desert sunsets are beautiful, too.

That said, we will move closer to the west coast in the not-too-distant-future. Three days’ drive away is too far.

“Having Fun?” What a Concept!
Having a little fun and not taking it too seriously? What a concept!

I must say I agree on the SOT verus rec boat. I let my wife pick out her own kayak, and she picked a rec boat because it was comfortable. I kind of assumed she would be sticking to pretty mild conditions, but she’s more adventurous than I thought. She sometimes makes me uncomfortable. I have several boats, so I have more suitable boats she can use, but she insists on using “Her” boat

Fishing isnt kayaking?
What were all those Inuits doing in their kayaks back in history? Doing laps around the icebergs? I always thought a kayak was a multi-purpose vehicle for transport and food gathering.

I like SOTs, but then my kids are constantly rolling out with fins on and scrambling through a reef chasing fish, turtles or whatever catches thier attention.

whitewater kayak
if fun is what he wants, a whitewater boat is what he desires!

and we feel free to give you hell if
we want. Like you said its a public board. Nuthin’ but a bunch of freaks here…