Sit on Top for Pup

My wife wants a sit on top kayak. I know almost nothing about kayaks. The one she has is nice, but it has a cockpit, without a platform for her pup. I’ve looked at pictures online and visited a couple stores. Most don’t seem to have any space at the foot for the pup. They like to add wells and gear gizmos at front. Any suggestions on a good stable sit on top kayak with room for a spotted doggie? Wife is 5’6". Ample room between the feet and forward would be ideal.

The one thing I do know about kayaks is that seat comfort is paramount. A good comfy seat is necessary. Thanks.

Please define pup. A Jack Russell is one thing; a lab is another. Does the dog have to be in front, like they always want to be? Many tankwells are roomy enough for dogs to sit in. My Standard Poodle used to sit and stand in mine.
A dog really needs to be acclimated to a paddle craft and starting when they are young is ideal.

@string said:
Please define pup. A Jack Russell is one thing; a lab is another. Does the dog have to be in front, like they always want to be? Many tankwells are roomy enough for dogs to sit in. My Standard Poodle used to sit and stand in my Tarpon 160 SOT.
A dog really needs to be acclimated to a paddle craft and starting when they are young is ideal.

The dog in the Pungo is a boxer mix, completely untrained but did Ok.
The dog on the surf ski is a well trained Jack Russell.

Well this is a Flat Coated Retriever, a senior citizen at 9.5 years and 85 pounds……………he’s trained. Perhaps he has trained us. Otherwise he’d be paddling. Paddler was taken by surprise otherwise would smile. She’s also trained. You need to train the dog in the boat or it will be a bad scene.

The boat is an out of production sit on top, Ocean Kayak , Tetra, 12 ft. Note the dog fits in the large cargo compartment aft of the cockpit. The bungees are removed. He’s good for an hour if you swim him first and the temperature isn’t too hot. Today it was 97, too hot. Not good at any time. After an hour he gets up and wants to find a new position, go swimming or check out a smell.

Asking for a good stable sit on top with a comfortable seat good for dogs will get you a lot of information. Perhaps some of it will be useful. Perhaps not. We got a lot of opinions.

If you don’t know anything about kayaks, what does the wife know? Perhaps her skill level and kayak skills need honing before adding a dog to the mix.

To answer OPs question.
-Wilderness Systems Tarpon
-Perception Pescador
-Eddyline Carribean
-Hurricane Skimmer
All good boats but the first 2 are poly and heavy.
The Pescador can be found at Academy Sporting Goods at good prices.
The 2nd two are light weight and a bit pricey.

@string said:

The dog in the Pungo is a boxer mix, completely untrained but did Ok.
The dog on the surf ski is a well trained Jack Russell.

Really String? A Greenland paddle on a surf ski??
Actually a friend of mine competed in a surf ski race using a GP. Got lots of cracks until he left the field in his wake

Years later with his children and Paris

I used the Wind Swift on the ski and every other boat I have .My shoulder has appreciated it. I had a wing but the shoulder objected so Castoff has it now. And the GP I made for him.

Thanks folks. I’m going to look at an Ocean Two tandem/solo kayak. Seems to have plenty of room and is short enough to work on smaller streams. I’ll let you know what I think. We’re training our 7 mo old cattle dog for a canoe trip this summer. She’s been out on a lake once in a canoe and was pretty good, but needs to learn the ropes thoroughly before we take the plunge (pun intended).

@Chuck von Yamashita said:

Really String? A Greenland paddle on a surf ski??
Actually a friend of mine competed in a surf ski race using a GP. Got lots of cracks until he left the field in his wake

A wing would be more typical. However my Greenland paddle has more square inches of blade than many Europeans and some wings. I paddled a race with it and beat 13 other boats and took first sea kayak master class.

Of course Chuck not many surf ski racers have a dog in the rear hatch either…