Size for NRS cam straps

Looking for some advice!
Want to buy some NRS cam straps, but as they come in many different lengths. Not sure what to buy. 8/10 times I’ll be strapping them down to i bars, the other 20% of the time, stalling down two kayaks for a short drive on the roof of a car for a short distance using kayak foam block sand these straps. I need minimal length when it’s on the j bars, but Probably need four to make it easy. When it’s on the roof of the car, could get away with two really, but would need longer ones.

If you’re using cam straps, what length are you using for your tie down system?

I use a roof rack with cradles on both vehicles. Generally the 10’ straps work best for my setup.
On the rare occasion I use the J cradles on the trailer, I use the same straps, just tying off the excess. Your needs may be very different from mine.

When I carry 2 boats, I always use 2 straps for each one.

You can make a long strap short. You cannot make a short strap long… If it is too long tie off the excess so the end does not work loose and you drive over it… That can be fatal to boats.

Regardless of length, get the wider 1-1/2 inch straps. Will provide much greater stability to load.

OT but I remember when NRS had 3 inch straps… They weren’t a cam closure but a complicated buckle sort of thing… I think discontinued as they weren’t user friendly but if you had the patience to learn how they worked, really really secure

I normally use two 9’ straps for a solo Hornbeck or Placidboat canoe. Tandem or larger canoes require two 12 footers. Excess length is easily wrapped out of the way. When I transported a C4 to the Yukon in 2017 I used four or five 12’ straps to secure it, plus a trailer hitch tower extension support and bow and stern tie downs. 15’ straps to hold down a voyageur canoe.

@kayamedic said:
You can make a long strap short. You cannot make a short strap long… If it is too long tie off the excess so the end does not work loose and you drive over it… That can be fatal to boats.

Ditto.