Skeg banking angle

1. If you drop a skeg all the way, look right at the tail end of the boat, and try and push the skeg tip right or left, should the tip move much?

2. What should stop the tip from moving? Is it the width of the skeg slot in the hull or is there supposed to be a mechanism in the housing that keeps the skeg from contacting the edge of the slot?

I wouldn’t worry about it…
Comes under “Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke”

2 Likes

All of the skegs that I have dealt with have had a fair amount of side to side play. On some kayaks you will hear the skeg clunk around in the skeg box, especially when partially raised. All of this is normal.

2 Likes

Thanks. I was in a situation with weather cocking and a peak flow tide. I had to drop the skeg more than ever. At the same time, I had to dig in with the paddle. The boat heading was 20 degrees off the boat course (with the gps properly set for 16 deg western declination)

I got tired of the clunk clunk clunk clunk for miles.

Some kayaks have an adjustment feature, most do not. My Baffin P2 has plastic pieces on each side of the skeg that can be loosened and adjusted to prevent clunking. My wifes Whisky 16 came with small squares of foam glued to each side of the skeg box, so that may be an option (though I’m not sure how long they’ll stay there.

1 Like

My Fathom LV did that soon after I took delivery in 2017. Was an irritating sound, so back it went to the outfitter who sold it to me for a fix. No issues since then.

1 Like