Skeg question . . . .

I ordered a Liquid Logic Stingray 14 last week from Backcountry.com and the description said “skeg: yes”. I got it Monday, and, no skeg. Contacted them yesterday and they got back to me that they made a mistake, and that LL does not offer an add on skeg to that kayak.

I can’t say enough about how they handled this well. They apologized for the mistake, researched and got back with me on a timely manner, offered my choice of either a $100 refund (the yak was already $200 off), $100 credit toward more merchandise or complete refund including my shipping cost if I wanted to return it. What else could I ask for?! Great job there . . . .

My question, though, is this: Is a skeg something I want on this yak, and if so, is there a product out there that I can buy and install myself (I’m pretty handy)? I mostly paddle up and down river on a slow moving, very infrequently dropping river. I may go out on some larger lakes/reservoirs now that I’ve got a more efficient kayak where wind could be an issue. This yak doesn’t track nearly as well as I expected for its length, but that is probably a good thing on rivers; maybe not on bigger water.

I’m asking, because I’m going to ask for the $100 credit, but I may use that toward the price of a skeg. Any input and suggestions are appreciated.

–YoS

skeg…
I doubt you’d need a skeg on a river, but perhaps the bigger lakes and/or ocean would be nice…

I’ve seen skegs for Kleppers being on an elastic which you simply attach and mount to the kayak when needed, I bet something like this could be jerry rigged for your kayak if you think you want one…

Jay

Here
http://www.feathercraft.com/accessories/misc.php

Scroll down to the strap-on ( Wanda Approved!) Skeg