Skid plate-truck bed

The spray on truck bed, I don’t know the brand name,seems quite tough. Would it be good as a skid plate on a canoe. It looks like it would be lighter. Would it adhere to composite/ Rx?

Anyone know or have done this?

YES!
Carl Ladd at Osprey Sea Kayak Adventures in Westport, Mass has perfected this and does keel strips all the time.

508-636-0300

www.ospreyseakayak.com

Do you mean Rhino Liner, or the one
you can buy overt the counter and do it yourself?

Durabak
Try this stuff. Durabak has a smooth formula (you REALLY don’t want a non-skid skid plate!) and is a roll on rather than spray on product. It comes in a choice of colors, too. I put it on the entire length of the shoe keel on my Nova Craft Blue Steel Bob Special last year and it has worked very well so far. I did use primer, but probably didn’t really need to (nor would you probably need primer w/royalex.) There was a pretty good string about this a couple of months ago on this forum, but I couldn’t find it; perhaps someone else knows where it is. Great luck and if you use Durabak be sure to follow their instructions to the letter. Paddle on!

http://www.durabakcompany.com/smooth-durabak.htm

Further info
I finally found the string that I mentioned in my earlier post. It started out as a question about keel strips, but has a lot of the information that you’ll want as you look at options for skid plates.

http://www.paddling.net/message/showThread.html?fid=advice&tid=804143

Non slip
I went to your link and it says non slip. Is the coating affecting your speed or glide?

slip/non-lip

– Last Updated: Apr-02-08 1:40 PM EST –

Durabak sells both types, non-slip and smooth. I applied the smooth formula and am having no issues at all with reduced glide or speed. As I noted in the other string, it IS a little stickier over rocks than gel-coat alone, but way better than non-slip would be. I have used it for less than a year, but it is holding up perfectly so far. It'll get quite a workout this summer (if my paddling plans hold); I'll happily give a report late next Autumn on durability after year two.

Linex or RhinoLiner
Both are thick, hard, and nonsmooth (meant to stop objects in the truck bed from slithering around). Would be heavy, too.

There are some thinner, more rubbery DIY sprays you can buy in auto parts stores. I bought some undercoat spray for use on certain parts of an old vehicle I used to have. It was not slippery, though.