Sleeping Bags

Similar background,…
similar tactics, same conclusions.

I’ve tried synthetics on and off and found them lacking for my reality.

Never had a wet bag and I don’t like strapping anything but a paddle to my deck, especially on extended trips.

I value my slumber while on a trip and quite honestly, my old bones need it! For me this calls for down. Got a lot of miles under my belt, been many places, and this is my way. Don’t recommend it to others as they must find their own.

Respectfully wish ya pleasant waters.

Holmes

get down, or…
one of the really high end synthetics if the worry nuts on the site have scared you off. you need a mummy style quality “backpacking” style bag for high weight to warm ratio. 650 fill power down or better (650 cubic inches of volume lofted in a graduated cylinder per one ounce of down by weight) or the best of the synthetics: Primaloft, Polarguard Delta. don’t expect the synthetic loft to last nearly as long as the down bags however.

use quality dry bag stuff sacks and be careful and don’t worry about it. hey guess what: get your synthetic bag wet and you will be miserable too

JUST DON’T LET YOUR CLOTHES OR SLEEPING BAGS GET WET is the moral of this story.

BTW expect to spend between $200 and $400 at the highest end for the good bags.

Wekayak, look here, maybe what u want.

– Last Updated: Nov-24-05 10:57 PM EST –

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COMPACT-ALPINE-PAK-Backpacker-MUMMY-SLEEPING-BAG_W0QQitemZ7199302980QQcategoryZ36116QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I just bought two of these very compact sleeping bags from this eBay retailer, blue mountain, and they were super nice, fast shipping and really packed well; I had never purchased from this retailer before, but they sent me nice emails and were very courteous throughout the entire process. There is no sales tax and they give a five year warranty. I have studied the bags thoroughly and believe it or not, they are just as compact as you see on the picture (see small picture at bottom, click to enlarge). The cloth quality is very good and the synthetic fill is comfy. I thought I would not be able to make them as compact again once opened, but I was wrong, with a little elbow grease, and patience, within five minutes I had it once again in the very small package you see here (have to roll all the air out). I, like you, did not want to have subzero warmth, just down to about 20F or so. These fit the bill for me and I hope you can find them valuable also. I can easily put in my dry hatch. These cost about the same as some of the other makeshift ideas above, and you don't have to make anything yourself, just buy on-line. I will be camping overnight with these this summer and it fits on my backpack super neatly too. I could even put on my mtn bike rack if I wished to. Have a happy day.

PS the outer bag has a neat strap (think the guy has his hand through it in the picture--no, it is at the top of the compression bag in the picture of teh man holding the bag)) and it is so compact that you could attach to the underside of the deck, on the top deck shock cords, between your legs if you have top-bungees, or distal to the footpegs, and would not have to use any dry storage space for this bag at all if you needed the dry storage for other items. Also, I bought a couple Hennessey Hammocks (see other threads) so I dont even need a tent now for my overnighters. But others have said that the hammock can be cool as you are off the ground, so I picked up a pair of these.

Several thousand miles in a kayak
McKinley Guide, director of outdoor program for many years etc. You don’t have to like my views, but they are based on legitimate experience. Try packing a Nordkapp for a three week trip with a big synthetic bag and big dry bags. I’m just sharing experience. I have not soaked a bag in all those years. Perhaps you are unable to hear things that go against what people in stores tell you. News Flash: A soaked synthetic bag deosn’t dry all that fast either.

Like Gore Tex
but don’t get nostalgic over it. Had the stuff given to me to test back in 83. It’s simply a PTFEE membrane that is bonded to a variety of materials. It has it’s limits. On Baranoff Island Coast in winter, no, i don’t like it. I use a stretchy Dutch Harbor rain gear set. For climbing, skiing, backpacking, I use Gore tex. Patagonia’s H2No is also good. JackL, I made my living outdoors which doesn’t make me better than any of you. Over the years my opinions on gear etc. have changed a lot. I know what works for me and what is BS. You spend as much time at sea or in the mountains as I have, and I think you’d see merit in my views. BTW, I’m still learning, but I know what I know.

Just for chits and giggles…
My last river trip was 3 weeks ago…temps were calling for below freezing, but I took my 30 degree North Face synthetic rather that my 0 degree North face synthetic (see a synthetic pattern?)

We hit a low of 30 degrees as I slept with duofold underwear, wool socks, wool gloves, and fleece headgear. I slept like a baby. The second night was quite a bit warmer, and I ditched the fleece headgear, and slept with the bag unzipped.

The bag fit well in a #20 sealine bag, with room to spare…I ditched my down army bag years ago as it collects moisture!

The trick to cold weather sleeping is not to sleep in the clothes that you wore during the day. Sweat (moisture) equals cold.

hooray for that mesh duffle
and a good shoulder strap for it

Not Marmot
This thread is an interesting read with lots of good ideas and suggestions. I don’t have much new to add, but will throw in a few personal observations.

The warmest bag I ever used was a WWII vintage, army, down bag. It was too big and threadbare to take river tripping, so when I started doing river trips I bought a Marmot bag rated as +20.

Did a little research before buying the bag and decided to go synthetic. The Marmot came with a stuff sack that packs it to about 9x20. I do not recommed this bag because the zipper gets stuck all the time and if it is less than 35 or 40, my feet get cold. I don’t like sleeping with more than a light layer of clothing, but for the cold feet, I get in the bag wearing fleece pants and then push them down around my ankles and feet, and I’m okay. No way is the bag good for +20. You might survive, but not in comfor. If its less than thirty, I need to start throwing jacket, towel, anything, on top. Or, if I have brought it along, I slip it into the bivy sack, which makes it okay to 20. So I have been disappointed with the Marmot bag, which I’ve been using about 5 years, maybe ten nights a year.

I have a Mountain Hardware bivy sack that is supposed to be breathable. However, usually in the morning there is a light layer of moisture on the inside of the bag. Not really a problem if there is time at camp to let things air out a bit, either before packing up or at the next night’s camp.

Seems like I paid about $130 for the Marmot. I’ve been getting by with it and I am cheap, so I’m reluctant to do what I should do, which is give up on it and make a better choice. I plan to get a bag liner and see how that helps it out. But the whole thing is less than optimum and means carrying extra pieces of gear. Good thing I’m not back packing.

I like having a clean deck on the kayak. The stuff sack is lined nylon and will repel a few drops of water. My Azul kayak has Valley hatches and after I caulked the bulkheads, 2 of 3 compartments stay bone dry. So I stuff it in the front hatch, twist it sideways and shove it up against the bulkhead. When I’m canoeing, it goes in the big drybag with the rest of my gear. So far, so good, it has stayed dry–I guess I could have gone with a down bag.

Love the suggestion about the mesh duffel. In the kayak, a lot of things get packed in loose…I should say individually, because its pretty tight by the time its all packed in. So having a bag to carry it all in…why didn’t I think of that.

Mr. Reviewer Man, if you are still looking for combo review with those Prospectors…winter tripping…sleeping bags.

~~Chip

hey salty
we finally agree on sumthin! =:-0)

yep, working at keeping dry is the challenge, NOT planning on getting wet.

steve

I have found
my down bag got damp, then lost its warmth. Went to a synthetic bag and never looked back. I winter camp and sometimes in really damp, wet conditions.

Down v. Synthetic
Down wins, hands down. Warmer, loftier, and compresses better.

Kayaks. Water.

Down when wet. Worse than worthless.

Get a nice synthetic bag. The good ones are close to down, they deal with water much better, most will pack down plenty small for your hatch. I just bought the girlfriend a Cats Meow by Northface from Campmor (pretty good deal). Is it the best bag on the planet? Heck no, but it works over a broad range of environments, it was fairly priced, she loves it and it will last her a long damn time. It’s at the top of the Reader’s Choice each year in ‘Backpacker’ and was an ‘Editors Choice’ way back in '93 or something. Good value, great bag, won’t betray you when it gets wet.

Shop all you want but you should look at these bags.

Best,

Brian

2 bags

Other people have said it.

Use two thinner bags.

Alternatively, bring fleese to sleep in. Use it only for sleeping (it also can be a backup for other clothing).

I’m just curious
what all of you do to get your bags wet? I’ve done a fair amount of camping/kayaking and have yet to get anything (except the rain fly and tarp ) wet.Just completed a week long trip to the Broken Group on the W side of Vancouver Isl. in Sept. It rained, I stayed dry. BTW it’s down for me too :slight_smile:

How to wet a bag
Have not had it happen to me, but I’ve been on trips with others that got their bags wet.

First case, the tent blew down in the midst of a wicked storm. They stayed in the tent. Enough water got in the tent to get two of the threesome’s bags wet.

Second, canoeing through a rapid with lots of big waves, the boat filled about halfway with water before they stopped to bail. One of the drybags let in a cup or two of water, and the sleeping bag absorbed a lot of it.

Same sleeping bags and on the same trip. The nights were just below freezing. The bags were down. The campers were not happy.

~~Chip

There is a first time…
for everything !

Cheers,

JackL

rain
or other damp weather, or not using a tent to sleep in , dry bag failure , ect. Anything can happen.

velocity 35
my EMS velocity 35 is all synthetic with a weathrproof shell and fits into a Nalgene wide mouth bottle…how is that for a kayaking sleeping bag???best waterproof container: a water carrying container!

Tapered Drybag
I have a Slumberjack Summit synthetic bag rated at +20 degrees, and I use a Voyageur Monsoon 12 tapered nylon drybag. I start stuffing the bag down into the point of the drybag and get about 2/3 or more of the sleeping bag stuffed, then put the drybag through the small round front hatch. Finish stuffing the sleeping bag in, knuckle down to expel air, then roll and seal the drybag. Stuff well up into the bow, and it takes up that hard-to-use space. I really love the tapered drybag and the nylon makes it slide well. Haven’t had any problem with getting it wet while packed.

Paula

Interesting data on this thread
Hey, there’s no correct answer here. If ya like synthetic then use it. What is interesting is that on this thread you have two experienced PNW outdoorsman who use down, and a third who just did a trip in Barkley Sound using down (also may have a lot of experience). So, the folks pushing down here are the ones living and playing in the wet part of the country! Both work, use what ya like.

Probably agree on a lot actually