Slippery Kayak Paddle Shaft

Having trouble with your kayak paddle shaft being slippery when wet?

Try this - -

Sand the gripping area of the shaft just enough to knock the gloss off.

Spray on two-three full wet coats of “chip-resistant” automotive rocker panel paint. (Available in spray cans at most automotive supply stores)

This provides just enough “traction” for an easy grip, but not so abrasive that it causes blisters.

Man I would hate to do that.
I would rather have a loose relaxed grip where I can let the paddle shaft slide a bit when I want to.

Usually a wet paddle shaft will dry up pretty fast.

The only time I have a problem is after putting on sunscreen, and then I just use a handful of sand or grit rubbed around in my hands to take the suncreen off.

Just my take

Cheers,

JackL

surf wax
it works great, doesn’t damage the paddle shaft, and is fairly easy to remove.

I have only used wax a few times though. Generally I don’t have a problem with my hands slipping.

Slippery Shaft
Mornin’ Jack!

Your point is well taken, and I would not recommend the rocker panel paint for anyone who does not have a problem with a slippery shaft!

I don’t know for a fact, but I’m pretty sure there is a little-known state law in Texas that says you cannot go kayaking in Texas unless you are reasonably sure you are going to get caught in the middle of the lake when a storm hits! That makes for a consistantly wet shaft and can get to be a real pain-in-the-rear for us old folks!

One of the advantages of a fiberglass or a carbon shaft is the mildly rough texture of the shaft that provides an easy grip, while allowing easy sliding or position shifting.

The rocker panel paint provides a very similar surface.

Don’t know where
you get your fiberglass or carbon fiber paddles, but mine aren’t textured, they’re smoooth.

Aqua Bound

Kayak Paddle
Hi Romany!

You got that right! Your’s are smooth, but not quite as smooth and slippery as a powder coated aluminum shaft!

cut-off-finger gloves
work great for me. Neosport.