Slow loading ad at the top of the page

I know you guys need to make money, but the ads at the top of the page are a pain. They take forever to open, and when they do it moves the screen so I frequently click on the wrong topic. Am I the only one that has this problem?

Actually , the pop-up at the bottom is kind of annoying as well. And the blinking one at the side…

3 Likes

I was ready to give up on this site because of all of the new constantly changing ads that were using over 4Gb of memory and slowing everything down.

I’m using Chrome and finally broke down and added the free Addblock Plus extension. Like night and day. The only potential downside is that a very few sites demand that you turn it off to browse their sites. To date there was only one that I ran across, and I decided that I didn’t really want to be there.

1 Like

I use Brave browser for weblpages like this, it’s free and no or very few ads.

Safari allows you to block pop-ups in the settings. I layered in the Purify extension (a NYT Wirecutter recommendation) to end all those annoying ads. According to Wirecutter, you need to be careful with ad blockers - they themselves will soak up your data and resell it.

@rstevens15 is correct, though. Some websites will ask you to turn off the ad blocker to continue.