Small adult/youth sit inside kayak

I am just going to offer another recommendation for the Eddyline Rio. I am just under 5 feet tall, 115 pounds, 53 years old and relatively strong for my size. The Rio handles beautifully and has useful safety features for a rec boat (most notably dual bulkheads). The cockpit definitely gives me the feel of ‘wearing’ the kayak, which I love. At 35 pounds and just under 12 feet long, I can manage to car top it myself on my Mazda CX-5 (compact SUV) - I use a Little Giant 3-step ladder to help! I have Thule cross bars, and I add foam kayak blocks when I transport the kayak.

1 Like

I’m 5’1", 110lbs and am also looking for a kayak that will fit me. I have a sit on top, and used to have a rec kayak. But it seems when you get into the more seakayak-y end of things, finding one that is sized correctly for you becomes more important. Kind of like a bike (which I also have difficulty finding in my size…) I am solely looking at used boats both for budget and availability reasons (kayak shops around me have pretty much nothing in stock.) So it’s up to luck what I might find.

I have taken a couple of kayaking classes where the outfitter attempted to match the boat to the participant’s size, at least as much as they could with what they had available. In one class they gave me a Perception Expression 11.5, and in the other a Dagger Stratos 14.5S. Both were fine, but if I could find something with a smaller cockpit, lighter weight and maybe a lower deck I think I’d prefer it.

In addition to the ones mentioned above, there are some others that are no longer made but may come up on craigslist, etc.

Perception Umiak - marketed for kids (there’s one of these in the classifieds section of this site right now)
Perception Calypso (made for LLBean, marketed as a women’s model)
Englehart Products Episea - marketed for kids
Wilderness Systems Piccolo
Also if you want to build one from a kit there’s the Osprey 13 from Pygmy Boats (weighs 26lbs!):
https://www.pygmyboats.com/boats/osprey-13-kayak-kit.html

Note that none of these have 2 bulkheads if that’s something you’re looking for. (The Calypso has 1 bulkhead, the others none.) They are all under 40lbs.

I’m in the same boat, haha, I’m looking for a used kayak but finding the right one is a real challenge

I just sold my two remaining kayaks. One was a beautiful sea kayak that was just too high volume for me, and the other was a whitewater kayak that fit me perfectly - but I can’t paddle WW anymore due to health issues. I’m going to be getting a new kayak but am on the fence about whether to order a Rockpool Isel or a P&H Cletus LV (stands for low volume). I have very specific preferences in a new boat and those are the only two that meet them. I’m also hoping something perfect for me comes up used before I break down and order. In the meantime, I have a SUP and am also waiting on a new SUP I ordered last month.

Thanks for the input. Hope your health improves.

Good call. I would have a carbon GI built to replace my Tempest 170 Pro AND Progession.

If you happen to stumble across a Pygmy Arctic Tern 14 that would be a consideration. I built one for my teenage daughter who was light as a feather. A tiny bit shorter than you but OMG did it perform. Pygmy’s tend towards long and wide cockpits but it is really easy to build and install staller knee braces (don’t follow their instructions). I can’t help with finding the boat but I can advise on fitting it and your life would be sublime.

@Pru have you considered a Tiderace Xceed XS? I’m not sure what your specific preferences are but I have paddled one and it is a fantastic kayak for very small people (it was a bit too small for me). I have an Xceed S - the next size up- and absolutely love it.

Both would fit the bill. Unfortunately I live in Ontario, Canada…9+ hrs one way to your shop, if the border guards allowed me in.

Neither are available in my area new/used.

Will definitely keep a lookout for these two

Thanks!

I found one used…in Whitehorse, Yukon expressionless:

I have a Perception/Auquaterra Umiak that might work for you. I live in Lancaster, PA.

I have not - I’ll look into it. I want a boat just like my Rockpool Alaw Bach but that fits me.

Only reason I mention it is that the Cetus may be heavier than you’d like. It’s a great kayak but around here many people have traded their British boats (P&H, Valley etc) for Xceeds to save significant weight. I know P&H has a new infused carbon Kevlar construction that advertises 42 lb, but I have no first hand experience with that construction.

Might want to check out the Rebel line of kayaks too - the Husky (despite the name) is another excellent small persons boat - also a bit too small for me.

I wonder if a US seller could place a kayak on the Wolfe Isalnd ferry that crosses the Ste. Lawrence from St. Vincent, NY, to Kingston, ONT, to get it to a buyer?

I crossed Lake Michigan some years ago on the ferry to Milwaukee to meet the seller of a used kayak I wanted at the dock and then carried the boat onto the ferry and brought it back across. 1,000 miles round trip drive and $90 round trip ferry ticket (fortunately I have family in the town on the Michigan side so I combined the trip with some overnight visits.)

I have also crossed the Ste. Lawrence on that ferry with one of my folding kayaks in it’s duffel bag – my paddling buddy in Kingston met me on Wolfe island where I went through Canadian customs before joining him in his car for the drive to the second ferry. But I imagine I could have just left a boat there for him to claim and gone back to NY on the returning ferry.

In what part of ONT are you located? I keep waiting for a solid window of border openings so I can paddle with the Kingston friends again. I’m about 8 hours from there

Thank you!

I’m on Toronto ont

Just wondering what’s the raven you got going for?

I see it is out of stock at Frontenac Outfitters, but the 38 pound Delta 12s might be one to consider. Scaled for the more petite paddler (99 to 150 pounds) and fully outfitted with dual bulkheads and all the safety, performance and comfort features of a touring boat.

Made in British Columbia, by the way. Similar in many ways to Eddyline.

Another boat to consider is the Eddyline Sitka ST. It is a touring style kayak with a skeg and is relatively fast, especially for its size. It weighs about 43 lbs. My wife owns one and loves it.

1 Like

Thank you, I will definitely check it out!